SoccerJog(tm) - Fitness training for the easily bored

1 Conversation

What is SoccerJog?

At its most basic, SoccerJog is running but with the added complexity of having to dribble a soccer ball at the same time. It arose from the theory that the Brazilian soccer stars of the 70s and 80s were so skillfull because they played at pace on uneven surfaces and the realisation that jogging is an inherently tedious business.

Solo SoccerJog

Mark out two lines about 50 metres apart on a reasonable playing surface (a grass park or a flat beach1). Jog at a medium pace from one to the other whilst keeping the soccer ball under close control until you reach the other line whereupon you do a trap and turn2 and run back to the starting line. Increase the pace to the maximum at which the ball is under your control.

Solo shuttles

With a playing surface marked out with lines at about 25 metres apart, start with the ball on one line. From a run, punt the ball towards the second line and take off after it as fast as you can. When you catch up with it, do a trap and turn and dribble it back to the first line. Repeat.

SoccerJog for 2

Stand two approximately equally fit/skillful people at either end of a 25 metre playing surface, one of whom starts with the ball. Player 1 punts the ball to player 2 and runs towards him/her. Player 2 recieves the ball and dribbles it up towards player 1s line whilst player 1 attempts to take the ball off him/her.3 Whichever player has the ball at the end of the run becomes the one taking the kick whilst the other is then the returner. There is an incentive to tackle the ball in that it is less effort to run 25 yards without the ball than with it.

Benefits of SoccerJog

As an exercise alone it is more interesting than jogging alone, and the extra effort in controlling the ball means that a larger range of muscles are exercised by this routine.

For the soccer player the skill of running with the ball is absolutely essential, and the trap and turn is one of the fundamental soccer skills to learn. In time you may be able to run at nearly full tilt whilst still keeping the ball in close control - something that is essential if you want to be the best.

1Ensure that the tide is out and that the beach is clean and free of broken glass, obviously2Stop the ball by trapping it under your leading foot, and roll it behind the trailing foot and turn 180 degrees rapidly to bring the free foot into contact with the ball and be ready to run with it3It is best to limit this to one tackle attempt, or the exercise just becomes a long game of soccer skills

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A391998

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more