A Conversation for Pink Floyd - the Band

Ummagumma

Post 1

Dogster

What about Ummagumma? I'm listening to it right now, and it's fantastic stuff!


Ummagumma

Post 2

plato <surfer>

My favorite song on Ummagumma is "several species of small furry animals gathered in a cave and grooving with a pict".
ESPECIALLY if you are surrounded by speakers!

smiley - wizard


Ummagumma

Post 3

Researcher 225510

Sounds good at 16 rpm - and you can hear the "hidden message".


Ummagumma

Post 4

Just Justin... (ACE)

Eh? what's this about playing ummagumma at 16 rpm?


Ummagumma

Post 5

Researcher 226943

Ummagumma? Half historic live album, half self-indulgent twaddle, almost! Grantchester Meadows is the only listenable track on the studio disc. What about EMI expanding the live half and releasing it on it's on?


Ummagumma

Post 6

Nathan Hogg

OK, I admit it's not their greatest hour. But the "self-indulgent twaddle" contains some hints of things to come, so Ummagumma is important just for the history. You've got to remember that this was about the same time as Jon Lord's "Concerto for group and orchestra" (Deep Purple), so experimenting was seen as an OK thing to do in itself, whatever the musical "quality".
You're right, though - Grantchester Meadow is probably the only track that really stands up as "playable music" thirty years later.

Cheers
Nathan


Ummagumma

Post 7

Itchycoo

What about the album cover showing all that equipment that they have to squeeze in that van? I don't think they had that van for much longer.


Ummagumma

Post 8

Dogster

I would say it *was* one of their greatest hours - the version of "Careful with that axe, Eugene" on Ummagumma is probably one of the best PF songs ever. I don't think there's a bad track on the album.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more