A Conversation for The Benefits of Going Bald

Glad to be grey?

Post 1

Ormondroyd

My hair is actually determinedly staying put as I enter my fifth decade. smiley - bigeyes
However, I have started noticing the occasional white strand creeping in at the sides. I fear that I shall soon face the great to-dye-or-not-to-dye dilemma. smiley - sadface
Can anyone think of any good things about going grey? smiley - fish


Glad to be grey?

Post 2

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

I'm only 25 years old, but I've had stray greys since I was 19. I like them... they make my hair shine a bit, and they give a nice contrast to what is otherwise a very boyish look (I get carded buying tobacco). My grandmother has absolutely gorgeous silver hair, and she wears it quite proudly. My mother is exceedingly jealous, and she hasn't managed to produce any more grey than I have.


Glad to be grey?

Post 3

gypsy

Hmmm..well, at least you're not bald? I'm sorry I had ta. A bennie for being gray could be that others might regard you as wise.


Glad to be grey?

Post 4

Demon Drawer

First grey hair at 21, started ro receed at 24 greying isn't too bad some of them have even fallen out with the recession, mind you neither of them really show as I keep the hair down to a grade 2. smiley - smiley


Glad to be grey?

Post 5

Cheerful Dragon

Some years ago I had a colleague who was going grey in his late 20s. Another colleague who was about 21 came in one day with his hair newly 'highlighted'. The greying colleague commented, 'I don't have to pay for highlights like that. Nature's doing it for me!' So there's one benefit of going grey.

My mother's in her 70s. The only white in her hair (she's unlikely to go grey because of her hair colour) is a small group strands at the back. These don't even show because of the way she does her hair. I hope I look as young as she does when I reach her age.


Glad to be grey?

Post 6

Kes

I'm not sure if this is a cheering thought, but do consider it: What falls out isn't going to turn grey!
(unless, of course, it already has...)


Probably neither the time nor the place

Post 7

Lord Lopper

Sorry about this but couldn't resist reproducing a joke I heard at the Comedy Store on Saturday.




"I'm feeling a bit depressed today, I found my first grey pubic hair........





.............it was in my kebab, I'm never going there again!"


Silver thread continued

Post 8

Ormondroyd

I hereby confess that I, too, had highlights in my hair some years ago, and I've just been remembering the horribly uncomfortable and undignified process I had to go through to get them.
For those lucky enough not to have experienced highlighting, it works something like this: a kind of tight rubber swimming cap is put on your head, and then the hairdresser hooks strands of hair through the holes with a darning needle. These strands are then coated with an absolutely foul-smelling bleach. Then you go under a dryer until the bleach hardens, making it look as if your head has been iced like a cake. Then the bleach is washed off and the rubber cap pulled off, usually taking quite a few hairs with it.
Looking back on that process, getting grey streaks the easy way seems far preferable. smiley - smiley
It is true that going grey might make people think you're wise and mature. I shall have to ensure that my behaviour prevents any such misunderstandings. smiley - winkeye


Silver thread continued

Post 9

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

grey hair looks so cool its unbeleivable, im 17 and i wish my hair was white/grey just because it looks amazing, but my father was bald and although me grandad on me mams side wasnt (and ive heard that baldsness is from the mams side) i fear going bald, although this entry explains how cool it is to be bald, i still wanna go grey, any one know how i can dye it?


Key: Complain about this post