A Conversation for Coccolithophores: Earth's Little Helpers

Carbon dioxide

Post 1

EwenMc

Fascinating entry, but part is labouring under a misconception:
when CaCO3 forms from CO2 dissolved in water, the CO2 is in the form of hydrogencarbonate: HCO3-. This is important becuase when carbonate forms from hydrogencarbonate, carbon dioxide is released (not absorbed!):

2 HCO3- --> H2O + CO2 + CO3-2


Carbon dioxide

Post 2

Elwyn_Centauri, geAt (O+ THS)

"Supporters of coccolithophores' population increase should be aware that the same formation of coccoliths that has reduced the amount of carbon in the air also produces carbon dioxide molecules from oxygen and carbon in the oceans. Those molecules will most likely be used by coccolithophores, but some may escape back into the atmosphere."

The coccolithophores "absorb" carbon dioxide in the sense that they make the coccoliths from the gas in the atmosphere. Otherwise, methinks you are correct in the fact that co2 is released. smiley - cheers


Carbon dioxide

Post 3

Kat - From H2G2

Whoo well done Elwyn!

I've just read this and may have read it rather quickly and not fully but I'm going to ask anyway...

so from this are they good for the world in total or what?

Kat


Carbon dioxide

Post 4

Elwyn_Centauri, geAt (O+ THS)

smiley - magic Gee, I hate to sound equivocal but I do think overall it's simply in the balance, that the most amazing attribute of the coccolithophores is its natural thermostat effect on the Earth, adjusting the population to the sunlight available due to the condensation nuclei they produce.

As for the good of the Earth, coccolithophores are as good as any other groups of organisms, despite it having released some co2 over the years, overall the impact of "taking away" the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is admirable. People cannot say, so to speak, if over time the effects would have continued to be as positive save for the coccolithophore's own regulation and control over its population.

smiley - cuddle Kat, I know it seems like I lurk here regularly but actually I found a shade of life (plus a new book smiley - winkeye ).


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Coccolithophores: Earth's Little Helpers

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more