A Conversation for Nodding Dogs

Nodding Dogs in America

Post 1

Arondelle

Well, I've never heard them called anything but "Nodding Dogs," but then, New Englanders are considered odd by folks in other regions of the country.

If you think nodding dogs are tacky, then you should see some other other variations on the theme to which I've been treated:

Hula Girls (similar to Bobbing Head dolls)

Waving Hands (with cute sayings on them that you can't read unless you're willing to crash into the other vehicle to get close enough to read them.)

"Baby on Board" signs (also with assorted cute sayings)

Radar Detectors (which don't usually annoy other drivers, but drive the highway patrol bonkers.)


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 2

U128068

I only came across the name "Bobbing head dogs" when my search for suppliers on the internet was fruitless. Someone suggested I tried that instead of "nodding dogs" and Bingo! Loads of search engine results where previously there had been none. Like you say, people from your part of the world are considered to be outsiders by the rest of the USofA, with your strange ways (or should that be their strange ways)

Hula Girls (Hula-hula dancers) are pretty popular amongst collectors of kitch plastic in Germany too (only the original old ones though) but here in England you won't see one for love nor money.

Nodding dogs are becoming ever more popular and I, for one, am glad. At least they give you something to look at when you're stuck in a traffic jam on the M25.


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 3

Bluebottle

This is of no help whatsoever, but the only nodding dog I've ever seen was in the Churchill Insurance advert...


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 4

U128068

I see about 3 per day, but then I do look for them, which is a bit sad really. smiley - smiley


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 5

U128068

I see about 3 per day, but then I do look for them, which is a bit sad really. smiley - smiley
If you go to my home page you can see another one.


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 6

Bluebottle

So I see... You going to delete your "Nodding Dogs" (again) article?


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 7

U128068

Yep, along with the original "Nodding Dogs" article which vanished before I got a chance to edit and update it, (which means it still says "Nickenderhund" instead of "nickender Hund". Some German speakers claim this word doesn't exist but I have documentation) and then re-appeared in it's new Accepted form. On second thoughts maybe I'll keep that.


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 8

Bluebottle

You may as well keep the original - but I don't know if you need one saying where the original is, but I find a links page is handy. Especially when the articles "vanish" whilst being edited. I have one at:
http://www.h2g2.com/A230509
but whether you feel you need one is up to you smiley - smiley
Still, it is a good and enjoyable article - congratulations


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 9

Moonjack

A little off the topic but not too much, everyone in my family has always called them "Noddy Dogs". Perhaps this is unique to California...


Nodding Dogs in America

Post 10

Arondelle

I spotted one today, in the back of a car in a restaurant parking lot. This one may be destined for true collectible status, too: the Taco Bell Chihuahua. I have no idea when Taco Bell start to use these nodding dogs in their promotions, but it's a cinch they'll never use them again: TB is dropping the Chihuahua as their spokes-dog.

Sheesh. Now you guys have me out looking for the little critters...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more