Escape Pod Dreams - 93

1 Conversation

Escape Pod Dreams: The Asperger's Issue

The New New blob

Beating a horse that won't lay still...

I know that Aspergers Syndrome or Disorder or Disease or EXCUSE has become a flavor of the moment. There's a book and a movie and a documentary and thousands of practitioners, therapists, GPS and other interested parties, not discincluding lawyers, teachers, and legislators, or, God Forbid, religious leaders and exorcists (I do kid you not!) whom are concerned with the genetic condition that, until just a decade ago, many had suspected that there might be a name for it, but nobody could quite remember what it was, so they just went on carrying on treating Aspies as a bunch of lazy sods, labeling them 'high potential low achievers' or just plain PWWGWTP (People Who Won't Get With The Program). Unfortunately for them, those them who go around labelling and libelling people, the blurdy 'program' was probably developed by a low potential high achiever Aspie in the FIRST PLACE! There is also an added Aspie aspect in the rediscovery of Aspergers whateveritis in that the Aspies aren't going to take it lying down anymore. Many of them now have a sense of community that they never had before. Most of the older Aspies have an excuse to feel like a human being for the first time in their lives. Millions of dollars are being spent on dealing with the babies and the toddlers and some odd people are bending their research toward a CURE, but the larger population of offended high level autistics and Aspies are still going wanting. It seems to be a neurotypical (what Aspies call 'normal' people) response that 'Well, you've coped this long, and managed to survive, why don't you just pipe down or we'll find some way to ban your ass!'
Aspies are often accused of a sort of arrogance. Guess what? After forty odd years of dealing with overbearing neurotypicals, I'd say a little bit of turnabout should be fairplay, wouldn't you?

The New New blob

More and similar noises on the same theme:

1. 8:57 AM
Asperger's Syndrome

by
Sparrow R. Cross

2. 9:57 AM
Asperger's Syndrome FAQ

by
s00z

3. 10:57 AM
Adventures in a portable hell

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

4. 11:57 AM
Narcissism and Asperger's Disorder
by
samvak

The New New blob

The Escape Pod Dreams Archive

(tonsil revenge)

10.02.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A3642446

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more