A Conversation for Neckties

No elastic ties at my schools

Post 1

Mola mola

We (girls and boys) had to wear real ties at both the primary schools I attended and at high school. At my high school the colour of tie you wore denoted whether you were in 1st to 3rd year (red) 4th to 6th year (blue) or a prefect (black with red stripes).

We therefore learned to tie our own ties pretty quickly - there's nothing worse than having your Mum do it or the teacher redo it (especially with the strangling final thrust of which they were so fond). At high school in the 80's we adopted the "backwards tie" which means that the tie was tied with the thinnest part facing out and the thickest part tucked into your shirt. If you tied it the normal way everyone shouted "kipper" at you and made rude comments about flares and platform shoes.

We never ever tied the "windsor knot". At a Glasgow school that would have been a very bad idea indeed.


No elastic ties at my schools

Post 2

phrebh

As an American attending public schools, I never had to wear a tie. But I did have to learn how to tie one when I was in Cub Scouts (like the Boy Scouts, but for the younger boys). I was only eight, and as my parents were divorced there wasn't even a tie in our house. I borrowed a tie from our neighbor and learned the classic four-in-hand knot that is prevelent in the States, but it certainly didn't take years and tears. I think I had it down within the day.

Before that I wore the standard 'clip-ons' for school pictures and such. Unlike the elastic-banded tie described herein, the clip-on sports a metal clip that goes over the top button of the shirt. Not the most pleasant thing to feel on a cold morning. You would not believe how many grown men in the states still where a clip-on when they enter the workforce.

I still tie my ties the way I learned when a child, although I hardly ever wear one. I've never seen or heard of anyone tying a Windsor knot in this country. I have seen a Windsor knot in a book and I don't think that ties sold in the States are long enough for it. Ties here are simply not knotted with long enough knots to ought a longer tie for such a knotty knot as the Windsor knot. Not to say I'm an expert, because I'm not.


No elastic ties at my schools

Post 3

Rosemary {[(2+2+2)^2]+4+2=42}

I had to wear a tie everyday except in the summer term at my primary school, and on smart days at my next school, so for 8 years I had to know how to tie a tie, NO Elastic. My brother, and all the male students at my school have to wear a tie at least 2 days a week, (smart days for the 6th form who are allowed to wear what they want.) the tradition of having to tie a tie hasn't died out yet in primary schools, and even though I haven't worn one for the last three years as the girl's uniform at my school which although a state school only takes pupils @ 13 (and phisically couldn't take any more)is a v neck shirt I can still tie one. I'm wearing my silk scarf tied in a tie knot now.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more