A Conversation for Neckties

Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 1

Refund

It would seem that the author is unaware that for the younger generation the humble tie conveys a number of messages to his her peers and colleagues. This is their stamp of individuality and a badge of rebellion as they succumb to economic pressures and get jobs. For these failed Che Guevera wannabes the brightly coloured or humourous tie is the very pinnacle of their resistance to conformity. For the young up and coming male it is an opportunity to say either "I earn a disproportionate amount of money for my age as you can probably tell by the hand woven indian silk designer tagged piece of material carefully knotted about my throat and I want you all to know it" or, at the very least "I want you to believe that I earn a disproportionate amount of money for my age". For those members of society with a double X chromosone it is their signal to the world that they can take on the guys in the business world and power dress whilst mocking the "old school tie club" mentality of the industrial yesteryear.
It should also probably be highlighted that whilst the Bill Gates's of this world are admired for being evil megalomaniacs adept at controlling the world via the propogation of unstable software they are not perceived as style gurus. Indeed the "geek" moniker and all that it implies is still applied as a term of derision by all those outside of the technology industry.


Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Or to put it another way. A youngish person wearing a tie signifies to the world that the wearer attended one of those universities where their hasn't been an original thought for 50 years.

Wealth-creating entrepreneurs tend not to wear any type of uniform. Because they are free-thinking individuals they have more important things on their mind than so-called satorical elegance (posing).




Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 3

The Reverend Tito

Even as the tie disappears from entrepenurial and political collars, (I recently saw the American President tieless on television) it is the ties' absence that sends the message. for better or worse, the tie remains part of the intellectual labourer's uniform, as well as the only part of clothing where some poor bank clerk or high school teacher may show sartorial creativity.


Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 4

Ralph, the Janitor - Keeper of Magic Tricks that don't work (and some that do!)

I don't know if they're dying or not, what's a tie???


Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 5

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

A piece of neckwear that janitors only get to wear when they die


Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 6

Researcher 180982

Alas! in general that distinguished, and distinct, article of mens apparel -- the necktie -- may indeed be dying out. But NOT with me! I consider myself to be a fairly normal, middle-aged man, but unlike most men my age and younger I gladly confess that I truly ENJOY wearing a necktie! When I put on a tie I feel like a complete male of the species. There's just something about the necktie that makes ANY man look his best when he is wearing one. Women have their bras, frilly blouses, scarves, bows and skirts, but we of the male persuasion have only the necktie and the kilt (and that last only if you are brave) as our distinctive apparel. (Needless to say, I detest seeing a woman wearing a necktie more than I detest seeing a man with whom I need to do business dressed not in business shirt and tie but rather as if he cannot wait to drop work and head for the country club in his polo shirt!)


Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 7

Researcher 170889

Have you considered knee-breeches? Or a codpiece? Wearing clothes of a prior century is an odd way to look well. If I go into a shop for electronics or anything remotely modern, I will not do business if the attire worn there is of an older mode than the item I wish to purchase or have repaired. imagine putting one's data processing in charge of one of these old buffers! The tie-beset IBM turned down the idea of the PC and has been playing catch-up ever since (and abandoned ties along the way!).


Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 8

the golden one

For as long as men wear shirts then the tie will stay alive Why? because the tie is there to protect the shirt from splashes of red wine ,chip fat , kebab stuff, lipstick,urine etc. so that in order for a shirt to survive through the week without being washed or ironed and all the effort that involves then a tie is indispensable. In my experience the dry cleaning bills for ties are horrendous therefore my advice is to wear rather loud garish designs so that the mess won`t be obvious, in fact I have known certain hardworking neck gear to be even admired as an absolute original , almost a piece of artwork. Never ever wear a light plain colour especially pale pink or blue and heaven forbid white after all we don`t want it to look like a bib do we?


Is the tie dying? Not here!

Post 9

Researcher 215523

lets face it, the necktie is going to be around for quite a while yet. I'm a smart, young, good-looking guy who knows he looks his best when wearing one - and i do any time I can, and so do most of my mates....and the girls love em! So come on lads, keep those collars done up and wear your tie with pride.


Key: Complain about this post