A 'Right' To Do

1 Conversation

Ever since becoming leader of the Conservative Party, William 'Toryboy'
Hague has been taking the party down a slippery slope towards the extreme
right. Lately it seems more of a tumble than a slide...

Well, at first it was the Euro, then it was 'bogus' asylum seekers and
shoot-your-own-burglar, and now it's education.

But what next?

With Michael Hezeltine and John Major resigning, the Tory party seems to have become 'pure'. All these new right-winged policies take the idea that the 'silent majority' should have preference above minorities and 'the liberal elite'. But with the principle of the majority getting preference, we may end up with very dangerous policies.

If we apply the 'silent majority' rule to other areas of government such as health and benefit we get something very 'interesting'. Currently, the majority of people in Britain pay more taxes than they get benefit, understandably. And the majority of people are healthy and would be better off without the National Health Service, using it just to get the occasional
checkup or medicine. So, therefore, it is the majority of healthy people (who do not need benefit payment) that are losing out to the minority of ill, poor people. So isn't it 'common sense' that we abolish the Welfare State and NHS? After all, it would benefit the 'silent majority'.

And what about the disabled, blind and deaf? Why should the majority of people pay for a small minority who have disabilities? Only a small percentage of the population is disabled, so why should we, as the majority, help them? It would make much more 'common sense' to stop giving them disability benefit, stop spending on services useable by the disabled and benefit the majority. Cut some taxes or something. That would be beneficial to the majority!

And, finally, we should do everything to 'keep the pound' and not let the Europeans into our country, even if it means that many businesses will withdraw from Britain and the economy will be severely weakened. The main thing is that we keep the pound!

As you see, by simply applying the 'common sense revolution' onto other fields of government, we get policies fairly reminiscent of certain fascist regimes. And why not? What's wrong with benefiting the majority? After all, most people would be better off if;

  • They didn't have to pay such high taxes.

  • Were not helping less-abled people.

  • The education system was not infested with those who disrupt, even if it means that education is ruined.

Well, I personally think that, as selfish as human beings are, we should keep a degree of socialism in our country. We shouldn't just think about the majority, but about those who are less fortunate. We should do what is best for our country as a whole, and not neccessarily be led by what is spurted out by the tabloids.
We also shouldn't just do anything that sounds good, we should do what has been proved to work best.


Mr Cynic


12.06.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A359796

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more