A Conversation for Traditional Children's Songs - UK

the 'redmen'

Post 1

anhaga

I'm sincerely hoping that the suggestion that was posted to the PR thread (307) will receive due consideration during the subediting process. As it is, there have been two researchers pointing out the offensiveness of the language of one rhyme and a positive suggestion of a remedy has been made.


the 'redmen'

Post 2

anhaga

It has been suggested on the PR thread (post-PR) that this issue is a question of being 'politically correct' and that it would be nice to have childhood be politics free.


Well, the entry as it stands suggests modifying 'ten green bottles' for younger children in a way similar to the example I linked to of a modification of 'we are redmen' that is being used by Canadian cub scouts. Clearly Emmily felt that it was appropriate to sometimes modify traditional material in order to preserve the time of innocence. I am suggesting that the same sort of note be added to the bit about 'we are redmen' (since it truly is far more problematic than 'ten green bottles').

There are already places in the entry where historical information about the songs is included ('rockabye baby' and 'Margery Daw' for example). It would certainly not be out of line to include background information about 'we are redmen' either in a short (one sentence) introduction such as so many of the songs have or in a footnote.

As has been pointed out on the PR thread (beginning before the entry was recommended) the song uses a number of extremely offensive and derogatory terms for the First Nations people of the Americas. It would be tragic for the guide if these facts were simply ignored.


the 'redmen'

Post 3

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

>"Well, the entry as it stands suggests modifying 'ten green bottles' for younger children in a way similar to the example I linked to of a modification of 'we are redmen' that is being used by Canadian cub scouts. Clearly Emmily felt that it was appropriate to sometimes modify traditional material in order to preserve the time of innocence. I am suggesting that the same sort of note be added to the bit about 'we are redmen' (since it truly is far more problematic than 'ten green bottles')."

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why on earth would 'Ten Green Bottles' need modifying?

What is it this time smiley - huh Offensive to smiley - aliensmilesmiley - alienfrowns smiley - rofl

I did not suggest 'Ten Green Bottles' needed modifying at all! Simply suggested some variations.

Please do not use my name in any further posts or assume to know what I think.

I have nothing more to say to you.

Emmily
smiley - rose



the 'redmen'

Post 4

anhaga

I'm terribly sorry about all this.smiley - sadface I know you have nothing more to say to me, and I'm sorry about that as well.

Obviously there's been a whole bunch of misunderstanding all around. I never suggested that ten green bottles needed modifying. I guess I misunderstood the reason the entry suggests a variation specifically for young children. It seemed to me that there was an implication that somehow the teddy bears were somehow more appropriate for young children than were the green bottles. I obviously misunderstood (and frankly, still don't understand) that bit.

I'm sorry that the solution to the very real offense that continues to be felt by a population that has a long history of being maligned is to hit delete and ignore the issue. I find it truly and deeply saddening.

My intention was to further communication; I'm sorry that I've caused communication to be shut down.


the 'redmen'

Post 5

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

That last sentence should have been;

"I have nothing more to say to you on this subject".

I don't hold grudges, if we 'meet' again in another thread they'll be no problem. smiley - ok

Emmily
smiley - rose


the 'redmen'

Post 6

anhaga

It's a deal!

smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post