A Conversation for Of Mice and Men - the Novel by John Steinbeck

Novel as play

Post 1

EwenMc

In the introduction to Burning Bright, Steinbeck writes that both Of Mice And Men and Burning Bright were written with a self-imposed constraint: To be like a play but not in script form. This limited the number of scenes and characters and divided the works into 'acts'. Unlike a script, he gave himself scope to include lengthy descriptive passages. He hoped the genre would catch on.

I guess this is why Of Mice and Men so successfully transfers to the stage and screen. (I liked the original, B&W version).


Novel as play

Post 2

DJR

absolutely true, and all of the acts of a play can be clearly made out as the separate chapters in the book.


Novel as play

Post 3

longshotlove

that was a fine writer working. as such it echoes
tennesee williams, arthur miller (not so much henry)

here i'm sad because the mores that banned h. m. are still
just the same as before, limiting and censuring.

so much more that Coupling is like a 'Friends with lager'
which is all right but -- there's still no actual coupling in that.

as people can only come into the world via sexuality,
i can say this with an utter and total lack of "profanity" and STILL run the risk of being censored. this is sad for everyone,
considering that it is the core of what Steinbeck was talking about.

--- without saying anything


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more