A Conversation for Spoons

Spoon Music

Post 1

Researcher 195942

While I am new to the conversation regarding the uses of the Spoon, I have yet to notice one of the more artistic uses. Commonly known as "Playing Spoons" these tools are used as a percussion instrument. Use one hand to hold two spoons, usually of the same type/size ( table spoons for example ), with the outer base of the bowls facing one another with a slight gap between the faces. While sitting, strike your leg with the bottom spoon in the hand holding the tools, ensuring the top of the bowl hits the leg. If the hand is held loosely the upper spoon will hit the lower and produce a "tap" noise. The other hand can be used to act as another surface to strike the upper spoon against to produce the same sound. With practice the player will learn the spoons can be stuck against different parts of the body, other people, the dog that keeps barking at night which disturbs their sleep, etc. to produce the same sound. When put into different rhythms, this tapping can form quite interesting forms of music.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more