A Conversation for The Green Flash - a Personal Perspective

Green flash rocks

Post 1

Hersh

I'm going to be looking out for this from now on... People go miles out of their way for eclipses but this phenomena can be seen anywhere from the sound of it.

Anyone seen this thing first hand?


Green flash rocks

Post 2

DjeliBeybi, Sovereign Imperatrix of all Odd Blue Socks, ID

Actually..I'd like to know if anyone knows of any links to pictures of this phenomena..


Green flash rocks

Post 3

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

I don't know of any websites with info on the flash. You should be able to borrow a copy of Jules Vernes book, Le Rayon-Vert, (The Green Ray) from a public library. Most older copies of his books are illustrated.


Green flash rocks

Post 4

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

I did a search for "The Green Ray" and came up with this site. There are others. http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/papers/Zenit/glance.html


Green flash rocks

Post 5

DjeliBeybi, Sovereign Imperatrix of all Odd Blue Socks, ID

Oooh... Thanks..I'll check it out..


Found more links

Post 6

DjeliBeybi, Sovereign Imperatrix of all Odd Blue Socks, ID

I'm putting them here just in case anyone else is curious
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap970909.html It's not that great, but it's something.
An introduction to green flashes.. this is more promising.. (it has a whole lot of links)
http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/

I'll end my list their; I'm sure anything else that I dig up will be listed at the aforementioned site.

Off I go...


Yes, I've seen it...

Post 7

Cenchrea

It's a big thing in Hawaii because the skies are so clear. Tourisits think that we're putting them on when we tell them that there is indeed a green flash, but if and when they do eventually see it, they start whooping and laughing out loud or else just stare at the horizon in disbelief. It's really weird that it provokes such a response, 'cause it's really only a little green flash just above the ocean, after all. (Of course, the first time I caught it, I sat there with a big stupid grin on my face for a solid two minutes and still can't tell anyone why.)

Quite a phenomena...


here's a good one

Post 8

Fishboy

I thought this was intruiging. I heard about a Sun Dog a few years ago, which is one or two rainbows on each side of the sun seen at sunrise or sunset, so I started looking for them. Since then I've seen several and they are fantastic. They are usually spotted in early spring and fall, so keep a look out. I did find some info on the Green flash at http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/. I can't wait to see it. By the way, I'm looking for the mate to a blue hanes sock with a gold toe. Could you command it to reappear. Thank you.


Key: Complain about this post