Turkey and Black Bean Stir-fry

0 Conversations

There may be a few eyebrows raised at this recipe, not least because I'm using a commercial stir-fry sauce (much better than making your own, in this instance). A lot of people find turkey dry and tasteless, but it works much better than chicken for this recipe. Again, some people might find the order that the ingredients are added a bit odd, but that's the way I've found it tastes the best. I have found that noodles or rice are completely unnecessary with this dish - it is quite filling enough as it is.

For optimum results, this really must be cooked in a wok over a gas hob; no substitution will do, I'm afraid.

Ingredients (serves 2)

  • Sunflower and olive oils
  • 400g turkey breast/turkey fillet, diced
  • 1 savoy cabbage, washed and torn into large shreds
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 green chilli, minced
  • 1 bunch spring onions, washed and chopped
  • 1 jar Sharwoods black bean sauce
  • Sesame seeds
  • Salt and pepper

Method

  1. Heat a little sunflower oil in the wok over a high flame until it starts to smoke. Add the turkey, and stir-fry thoroughly for about 5 minutes, until it starts to brown.
  2. Add the shredded cabbage. Before stirring, sprinkle on a generous helping of salt, and a little pepper. This will leach the water out of the cabbage, helping it to cook quicker. Stir fry for another 3 minutes or so, until the cabbage wilts and starts to brown.
  3. Add the chilli and garlic and stir-fry for another minute.
  4. Add the spring onions, keeping back a few green ends, and stir-fry for another minute.
  5. Add the black bean sauce and stir briefly to coat all the ingredients.
  6. Remove the wok from the heat and serve up the dish. Top each portion with the spring onion ends, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.

Variations

This is nice with duck in place of the turkey, or you might want to try adding some batons of green pepper along with the cabbage.

Back to my recipe book.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3421874

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more