A Conversation for Swords

"Greatest Contemporary Swordmaker"

Post 1

Researcher 143238

I must quietly dispute the assertion that Fulvio Del Tin is undoubtedly the greatest contemporary swordmaker. While they may make the highest quality mass reproduction swords, far higher quality swordmakers exist. In addition to the many modern day swordmakers in Japan forging katanas in the old tradition, there are swordmakers such as Phil Hartsfield on the west coast of the US, and Angel Sword, based in Texas, who can be found at Renaissance Festivals all over the country. While you will pay in the thousands of dollars for these swords, they are unquestionably wonderful pieces of work, hand-folded and hand-forged, and lovingly detailed. In addition, Angel Sword rather graphically demonstrates their ability to cleave straight through the mass-produced low-quality steel reproductions that are widely available today. Del Tin is certainly a cut above these brands, but they are not the "greatest." In my opinion, anyway.


"Greatest Contemporary Swordmaker"

Post 2

Saint Taco-Chako (P.S. of mixed metaphors)

An honest dissenting opinion.

But Fulvio Del Tin is widely used as the measuring stick by whih all other swords are measured. He is THE benchmark. And he has a much wider fan base.

Perhaps most successful would be a better term...

Still, I included the Del Tin reference as a starting point for people who might become interested in swords. I cannot afford to lay down $1000+ on anything as frivolous as a sword. But I, like most people, can afford a Del Tin.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more