Escape Pod Dreams - 157

0 Conversations

Escape Pod Dreams - 'The Filthy New Year' Issue

The New New blob

A pox on those who filled the shops and them shops that wished to be filled.

It is an odd thing that many businesses depend upon the holidays to fund their operations for the rest of the year. I kinda like those folks who set up to sell firecrackers and christmas trees for a couple of weeks and then fold their stalls and return to selling watermelons, pumpkins and llama foreskins or whatever it is they do the rest of the year. Down at the local mall (which is nothing of the sort) they have an empty shop space that fills up with a store for whatever observance is imminent, be it Super Bowl, Halloween, St. Valentine's Day, or Christmas, purveying pounds of cheap Chinese junk shrink-wrapped and bubble-packed so that it can be safely stored away in a warehouse between times. Then there are those stores like the two I work in, 7-11 and Dollar General, which clear out entire aisles of essential junk and fill them with holiday crap for a month each year. Not to mention trashing up the walls of the store with dusty ornaments from decades past, leaving bits of sticky tape and staples in their wake when they finally pull them down to make way for the Feb 14th excoriations.

The New New blob

More reasons why an even-tempered dog is preferable to a well-tempered klavier:

1. 8:57 AM
Trash and posperity
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

2. 9:57 AM
Save the planet, plan a trip to Mars
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

3. 10:57 AM
The future ain't what it used to be, part 5
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

4. 11:57 AM
Everything has to go someplace
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

The New New blob

The Escape Pod Dreams Archive

TonsilRevenge

17.01.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A31062674

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more