Largs, Ayrshire, Scotland, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Largs, Ayrshire, Scotland, UK

4 Conversations

With a population of just under 15,000, Largs, Ayrshire, Scotland is no metropolis. It does, however, have a flourishing community of elderly and retired people; so it may be considered a useful place to visit when one has the need to feel youthful and vivacious. A trip to Largs requires an extensive knowledge of local bus routes and comfortable shoes.

Famous throughout the west coast of Scotland for its Nardini's1 café, the town sits right on the coast, backed by a series of hills. Glasgow lies about 25 miles to the north west and Ayr about 10 to the south; so one has the option of flitting to civilization without too much trouble. The town is also a useful starting place for visiting the nearby islands of Cumbrae, where a Country and Western music festival2 is held every summer, and Arran3.

An enjoyable afternoon can be spent in Largs, if one's time is divided sensibly between eating Italian ice-cream, drinking coffee, playing golf, sailing and getting drunk; although it should be noted that a number of the local inhabitants gravitate towards the latter option with disturbing regularity.

Local produce consists mainly of twee Scottish sayings and heavy rain.

1Not to mention Daniela Nardini, the gorgeous, pouting, chain-smoking star of British TV's This Life.2Lots of seemingly demented Scottish people dress up like Garth Brooks or Dolly Parton and drink Budweiser beer.3A popular destination among our hill walking and mint cake-eating brethren.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A306884

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more