A Conversation for Crystal Radios

Just when I ...

Post 1

Peterr

Just when I thought every thing that could be invented had been invented, up pops a new gadget. But now that I think a bit I can remember making a little radio of similar description when I was in the Boy Scouts. This was just before the 6transistor radio came into being. Old valve radios were the entertainment feature of almost every household and tv commercials did not exist. Bring back the good old days.


Just when I ...

Post 2

2E1HDO

My Amateur Radio tutor has a whole series of valve-based radios still in working order.

He fired one of them up last week. WOW! What a sound! It was such a warm, full-bodied sound. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, I have built the kit mentioned in the article, and yes it is fantastic. Not very loud, but taking it through into a home-made amplifier was better.

R U a Radio amateur?

Callsign here is 2E1HDO.


Just when I ...

Post 3

Straw Walker

Hey! I'm dead chuffed smiley - magic that someone has taken the time to build a crystal set. I'm G4MIX and I built my first one in the early 1950's and did much illicit listening under the bedclothes.smiley - laugh The design in the article is fairly standard and is based on one originally published in the Eagle comic. Oh that they printed useful stuff like that today!


Just when I ...

Post 4

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

I've just sent off for my class B license, having passed my RAE smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more