A Conversation for A New Forest Walk - Ashurst to Brockenhurst

Ashurst to Brockenhurst Walk

Post 1

newChaucer

Please beware. Four of us attempted this walk last Tuesday (8th July).It was the day BEFORE one month's rain fell in 24 hours. There had been some rain the previous couple of days but nothing drastic. We're all 50+ but we had to smile at the suggestion that a pushchair or buggy could be used for this walk - it certainly could not be. There were many boggy areas and we aborted the journey fairly early on. There was a small lake under the railway bridge at Fulliford and we had to get round it by hanging on to a wire mesh fence on one side and stepping on some small logs that were handily placed. Unfortunately one of my companions misjudged, what looked like, a firm piece of ground and her right leg sank up to the thigh in a quagmire, shortly afterwards. A nice walk during a drought but be careful otherwise.


Ashurst to Brockenhurst Walk

Post 2

Skankyrich [?]

I did write in the article that:

'If you have a pushchair with you, note that after prolonged wet weather one or two places on this section can get pretty sticky - it shouldn't stop you, but you may get soggy feet and muddy wheels!'

The walk was recommended by a friend in Portsmouth, who had walked it there and back last autumn after some rain with her young daughter in a pushchair and had no problems. An easy alternative is obvious from the map - instead of going under the railway bridge at Fulliford, you could have continued up the hill without crossing the railway line and ducked under the railway later on, avoiding the wettest ground.


Key: Complain about this post

Ashurst to Brockenhurst Walk

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more