A Conversation for Manicheism, Catharism and the Heresy of the Free Spirit

Nice one!

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

A beautifully written and well researched article! smiley - bigeyes


The slaughter of the Catharians

Post 2

Golgo (Researcher 121745)

It should be noted that not thousands but (according to my information) about a million Catharians, almost all (if not all) there were were murdered during the crusade.
Considering the population of Europe in those days, this genocide proportionaly even exceeds the Holocaust.


The slaughter of the Catharians

Post 3

Fruitbat

Anyone know anything about the Adamites? An offshoot of the free spirit-idea, they thought that they somehow were free of sin and went about robbing people etc, besides the obvious promiscuous sex life. They also preferred to lounge about naked, as Adam; they were never very big and were burnt on the stake with other heretics. That's all I know but might be nice to know more?


The slaughter of the Catharians

Post 4

Alighieri

The Low-Brow Reply:
If the Adamites hung around naked in the Dark Ages, I can see why they were never very big. Boom boom smiley - winkeye
Serious Reply:
I have heard of them briefly - just that they tried to re-create the time before the Fall From Innocence and that they were heavily influence by them Wandering Beggars of the Middle Ages (who seem to be the pre-cyber version of web-nerds who dig Gnosticism!). I'd love to learn more... anyone.. anyone...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more