A Conversation for Italy

Naples and Vesuvius

Post 1

Ashley

Naples & Vesuvius

Naples is the hub of the south Italy and gets a rough ride from the wealthier inhabitants of the North. Give me Naples over Rome *any* day.

It's true that you could get your bag snatched, but the rules of the game are like any other city is be careful and use common sense. The worst area in Naples is around the train station.

I'm going to disagrre , only slightly with Ginger, in saying that Italians do eat Pizza but not tourist pizza. If you want to try an authentic Neopolitan or Mariana (seafood) pizza then head for Da Michele. This restaurant only makes two types of pizza and is a member of the Pizza Doc organisation - this organisation has the aim to maintain the true style of pizza and stop its corruption by adding unnecessary ingredients. The pizzas are prepared all around you.

Once you've visited the city, head for Vesuvius - the active volcanoe that dominates the sky line and threatens the city every day. You can drive your car up and when the road stops, you get out and walk to the summit. You pass through a gate where you will meet a ,man who will rent you a stick - take it you'll need it to get to the summit - remember to give it to him. Half way up there is a souvenir stall that sells all mannner of icons carved from lava. Very tasteful.

Once you reach the top, you'll either be wandering in a cloud or, if lucky you will walk around the crater and see its 11km circumference.


Naples and Vesuvius

Post 2

Sam

Thanks for this Ashley. Superb, mate.


Key: Complain about this post

Naples and Vesuvius

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more