A Conversation for PTFE - The Most Slippery Substance in the World

Plasma

Post 1

delta

Maybe I'm in the wrong place but the thing I am interested in is Teflon, and how it is used in spacecraft thrusters. The Teflon is uesd as fuel for the (PPT) Pulsed Plasma Thruster. Any input would be welcome thank you.


Plasma

Post 2

Wraith

Hmm... I assume you know what plasma is more or less exactly, so I won't get into that right now. (if you don't, just ask smiley - smiley) now, I could imagine teflon as a coating for thrusters, however I doubt that it can be used to create a plasma. plasma thrusters are usually fuelled with mercury or something similar that has a low boiling point and is preferably metallic. I would think that the meltingpoint for teflon is way too high. also, since it isn't an element, the ionization-behavior seems pretty hard to predict.


Plasma

Post 3

Wraith

Where exactly did you hear about the PPT? do you know any good sites on the subject?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more