The h2g2 Post Recipe

0 Conversations

More ice cream. This week chocolate and more unusual recipes.

We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to Shazz.

General Methods

If you own an electric ice cream maker then these recipes couldn't be simpler to make. Once the mixture is prepared just pour it into your machine and churn according to the manufacturers directions. Remember to freeze the canister overnight if your maker (like mine!) only churns and doesn't automatically reduce the temperature.

If you don't own a dedicated ice cream maker then you will need to churn by hand. Place the mixture directly into a container in the freezer. Remove every hour and beat. Do this about 6 times until the ice cream is almost completely frozen or impossible to beat any further.

Chocolate Ice Cream

Ingredients

  • 2oz - 50g, ½ cup - unsweetened chocolate
  • 2oz - 50g, ½ cup - unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 12 fl oz - 360ml, 1½ cups - milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 8oz - 225g, 1 cup - sugar
  • 8oz - 225g, 1 cup - whipping cream
  • 1 tspn Vanilla extract

Method

  1. Melt the unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Gradually whisk in the cocoa and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. (The chocolate may clump together. Don't worry, the milk will dissolve it.)
  2. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, and heat until completely blended. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
  3. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
  4. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and vanilla and whisk to blend.
  5. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 to 2 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
  6. Churn and freeze.

Dark Choc Ice Cream

Ingredients

  • 4oz - 125g, 1 cup - unsweetened chocolate
  • 8fl oz - 240ml, 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 8oz - 225g, 1 cup - sugar
  • 8fl oz - 240ml, 1 cup - double cream1
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch salt

Method

  1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water.
  2. Gradually whisk in the milk and stir until smooth.
  3. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
  4. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
  5. Gradually whisk in the sugar then continue whisking for a further minute, until completely blended.
  6. Add the cream, vanilla and salt and whisk.
  7. Add the chocolate mixture and blend well.
  8. Churn and freeze.

Chocolate Mint Choc Ice Cream

Ingredients

  • 10fl oz, 300ml, 1¼ cups - double cream
  • 8fl oz - 240ml, 1 cup milk
  • 3oz - 75g, 1/3 cup - sugar
  • 6oz - 175g, 1 cup - mint chocolate chips
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Method

  1. Combine the double cream, the milk, sugar and the mint chocolate chips in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring with a wire whisk, until the chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
  2. Remove from heat.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and the salt until thick.
  4. Gradually add the chocolate mixture. Beat until well blended and chill for 30 minutes.
  5. Churn and freeze.

Cinnamon Ice Cream

Ingredients

  • 24fl oz - 720ml, 3 cups - double cream
  • 12 fl oz - 360ml, 1½ cups - milk
  • 2 vanilla pods, split lengthwise
  • 8oz - 225g, 1 cup - sugar + a couple of tablespoons more
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 2½ teaspoon cinnamon

Method

  1. Combine the cream and milk in a large sauce pan. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla pods and add the pods.
  2. Bring just to a simmer.
  3. Whisk the sugar and yolks in large bowl to blend.
  4. Gradually whisk in the hot cream mixture and return the mixture to the saucepan.
  5. Stir over a medium-low heat until the custard thickens and leaves a path on the back of a spoon when the finger is drawn across2.
  6. Strain into a large bowl and whisk in the ground cinnamon. Chill until cold - about 3 hours.
  7. Churn and freeze.

Liquorice Ice Cream

Ingredients

  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 12 fl oz - 360ml, 1½ cups - milk
  • 10fl oz, 300ml, 1¼ cups - double cream
  • 4oz - 125g, ½ cup - sugar
  • 10 pontifract cakes3
  • 1 tblspn Pernod liqueur... optional!
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

  1. Lightly whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl.
  2. Combine the remaining ingredients, except the vanilla, in a heavy saucepan over a medium high heat. Stir frequently until the mixture just comes to the boil.
  3. Slowly whisk this mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
  4. Return the mixture to the pan over a medium low heat and cook, stirring constantly. Do not boil!
  5. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla and strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl.
  6. Discard the liquorice pieces, cover and chill in the refrigerator.
  7. Churn and freeze.

Next Time: Auntie Bat's Spice Cookies

ShazzPRME

26.08.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Heavy cream in the USA.2About 6 minutes - do not boil!3Pieces of soft liquorice about one inch diameter. Any soft liquorice pieces will do.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2947214

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more