A Conversation for Thali

the difference between dhobis and dhabas

Post 1

i_am_tired

i_am_tired is tired of indian terms being incorrectly explained all over the internet...i_am_tired would like to point out that the footnote on dhobis is incorrect and i_am_tired is also quite amused by the allusion that dhobis serve thalis.
dhobis are washermen, they go from house to house collecting whatever needs to be washed ,having collected them they duly wash their pile and return each pile to the respective homes and then collect their fee.THEY DO NOT SERVE MEALS of any sort.

dhabas are roadside stops where a person can take a break while on the road, accomodation is usually free i.e you dont have to pay for the cot you lie down on (they do not have rooms).They also serve you meals (not free), they do not have a fixed menu ,they make an honest effort to serve your fancy in their own humble way. i_am_tired likes dhabas.


Key: Complain about this post

the difference between dhobis and dhabas

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more