A Conversation for Call Centres

International Call Centres

Post 1

Ku'Reshtin (Bring the beat back!)

I can't explain how I could have missed this entry, or even seen the entry and decided not to comment on it.

I have to say that the entry gives a good view of how call centres work and what is expected of the call agents that work there.
There are, however a phenomenon that occurs in the ever growing numbers of International Call Centres around the world. These are the call centres set up by multinational companies (such as the one I work for) where several countries in a specified geographical area are supported. The reasons for these huge international call centres are usually that the companies thinks it's cheaper and more handy to gather all their call centre staff on one big site instead of scatter them throughout many different smaller sites.

Usually the employees are given a "relocation package" to help them get started in the new country. This package usually includes transportation from their home country, accommodation for the first week (to give them tiem to find a more permanent place to stay) and a set amount of money to help them with deposits for apartments and other essential expenses.
There is also a general rule when it comes to these relocation packages that states that the employee has to stay for a set period of time within the company, or they will have to repay some of the relocation package (usually the amount of money they recieved for deposits for apartment and other expenses).

This creates an almost "magical" time-limit for the employees, and in many cases employees sets their minds on leaving after that specified time even before their employment begins. The turnaround for new employees in these types of call centres are usually pretty high with lots of people coming and going all the time. It can be quite confusing to have to learn new names and new faces every two or three months when you work in a call centre.

Well, enough of my ranting. I have to get some work done...smiley - smiley

See ya.
/Lost


Key: Complain about this post

International Call Centres

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more