A Conversation for Terry Pratchett's Discworld

The Big Read

Post 1

andy_moore

I counted 9 Discworld novels in the top 200. I do not think anyone else got anywhere near that many.

Being kinda cynical about a split vote situation I note that "Lord of the Rings" seems to be "one book" and the very sadly missed Douglas Adams is represented only by "Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy" - no votes for the other 3 books in the trilogy then (or am I being picky) or Mr Gently

Also, maybe if "Small Gods" (Bernard Breslaw as Brutha?) or "Fifth Elephant" had been recent blockbuster films things would have been different?


The Big Read

Post 2

Dragonlover- collecting the Discworld in hardback, and 40K background guru

Maybe if everyone had agreed on ONE book to vote for, instead of the nine or whatever then LOTR would have been number 2. I mean, the whole thing was a battle for 2nd place all the way through, it was always gonna be LOTR in first. I never actually voted, you can't vote for everything at the same time!

Dragonlover


The Big Read

Post 3

PloppytheJailer

Why do you think LOTR would only have been number 2?


The Big Read

Post 4

Dragonlover- collecting the Discworld in hardback, and 40K background guru

Because there would have been more votes for whatever book we decided upon than for LOTR, as i reckon all the people who couldn't decide what to vote for just went for LOTR.

Dragonlover


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more