A Conversation for Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

Portsmouth researchers

Post 61

Cee Mac

OK..... WHO IS GONNA BE WANDERING DOWN TO PORTSMOUTH FOR THE GET TOGETHER THEN ????


Portsmouth researchers

Post 62

Cakewalker

Might be an idea to vote for (or set) a date. My vote goes for the 16th/17th/18th, though I may be able to make the 9th/10th/11th (depending on how busy I am) or 23rd/25th.


Portsmouth researchers

Post 63

Abomination

So has it happened yet? I spent a majority of my life in Portsmouth, and still visit it semi-regularly to see my family and any friends who are still living there (not many, its amazing how few of them actually remained there).

Or have I done my usual trick of locating an interesting thread that I can actually contribute too the day after it becomes redundant! If so, I hope you all had a great time in what is still my favourite City. Despite not being able to find employment there (and not for want of trying). Still, I've managed to get to a job that is 44 miles away from the place so maybe one day I can move even closer.


Portsmouth researchers

Post 64

Bluebottle

No, so far it hasn't happened.
Chances are I'll be able to make any date that you set - but if we try and get it done for this weekend then at least we'll have achieved something. Anyone still interested please let us know!


Portsmouth researchers

Post 65

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

Ok, let's stick my neck out and suggest:

Saturday 8th July
Portsmouth Greyhound Stadium

If a few people can't make it, perhaps we can do this one, and arrange another one later...

If anyone IS going to be there, mail me at: [email protected] and let me know as soon as it is definite that you will be there.

This way, I can contact the stadium and get the package deal sorted out (admission, racecard, beer, more beer, food, free bets) sorted out, and also get a mention on the night's programme (The package groups usually get a 'welcome' on the front page), I'll probably tell them we represent 'Hitch Hikers' Guide Researchers' (anything longer and they won't be able to fit it on).

If you need transport, let me know. I can't offer it, but if you can OFFER transport, also let me know, and I'll see what I can arrange.

If you want to take advantage of the group offer, you need to register soon, because I'll need to be able to send the tickets out in the post.

Jim, alias Caveman


Portsmouth researchers

Post 66

Cakewalker

Can't come - I'll be back in Sheffield by then. Hope you all enjoy yourselves smiley - smiley


Portsmouth researchers

Post 67

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

Ok, so the invite has been out for five days.

I'm totally underwhelmed by the response.

Nil.
Zilch.
Nada.

About as much as I won on the dogs last time I wandered over there.


Portsmouth researchers

Post 68

Cakewalker

Perhaps try betting on something else?

I'm back in Sheffield now, btw.


Portsmouth researchers

Post 69

Abomination

Maybe, like me, they are all using Red Hot Ant as an ISP. This ISP had a really big spot of bother last week smiley - sadface, as opposed to their usual 'oh bother' level of service. I know I couldn't connect to any web sites at that time.

That weekend is fine by me, as is the one before, and possibly the one after depending on parents needing lifts to various places for shopping purposes - which means I'll need my car, which means staying sober if a pub is involved.

Martin


Portsmouth researchers

Post 70

Cee Mac

been neglecting the web recently....so did anything happen???
did I miss anything???


Portsmouth researchers

Post 71

Cakewalker

I don't think so. To the best of my knowledge precisely nothing got arranged. Maybe some other time.


Portsmouth researchers

Post 72

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

As I received precisely 0.0000000 replies, nothing was, as it happened, the main order of business.

Anyone else like to suggest an alternative date?

As it happens, 1st July was a bad choice anyway, because I was greyhound racing anyway, stuck doing the evening shift at Ladbrokes, London Road, Hilsea (Back there again this Friday and Saturday, but atleast there's no more saturday night meetings...)


Portsmouth researchers

Post 73

Peregrin

Sorry about the lack of reply, I haven't been keeping my ear to this forum for a while.

I'd like to have a meetup but I'm not that keen on greyhound racing.


Portsmouth researchers

Post 74

Bluebottle

Me too - I'd like to meet people, but rather not in a staring-at-dogs environment....
...I'm more a cat person, anyway....


Portsmouth researchers

Post 75

SPB-Matic 2000

Good idea. I'd be against greyhound racing too if I bothered to look up whether if's as harmful to the animals as horse racing, which I suspect it is. Shame the weather's been so rotten - just a day spent messing about on a beach somewhere would be more than acceptable. Shame I can't come.


Portsmouth researchers

Post 76

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

Personally, I feel that greyhound racing is not a cruel sport. You have to meet some of the dogs. Incedentally, retired greyhounds make very good pets. Anyway, I don't want to start a flame war in here; I'd far rather argue over a beer or ten.

Anyone want to suggest a (reasonably central, i.e. easy to get to bus) venue and a date?


Portsmouth researchers

Post 77

Peregrin

As far as I see the difference is that the horses are forced to race but the greyhounds do it voluntarily (they chase a mechanical hare or something, I don't know the details).

But I'm not that keen on the betting side.

Sitting around in a pub or on a beach sounds good to me tho'!


Portsmouth researchers

Post 78

Bluebottle

I'd like to have a look around Southsea, especially Southsea Castle. We could also have a hovercraft ride! smiley - smiley


Portsmouth researchers

Post 79

Abomination

A hovercraft ride (or should that be Ryde). Hey Jim, Weatherspoons, or that 'ahem' delightful place by Ryde sea front with the 10 pin bowling.

Been looking at the suggestions so far. Seems the greyhounds are off - and I don't suppose they do speedway instead like the do at Poole greyhound stadium
(not at the same time I hasten to add) as an alternate attraction there.

Back to the mainland. Is the Turret Hotel downstairs bar still open. Its convenient for Southsea and shops, pyramid centre (expensive?), other attractions, seaside (if you like stony beaches) , and kind of convenient for the hovercraft and clarance parade funfair. Don't know about busses, but it was Ok for them back wne I was a student.

There is of course the 10 pin bowling in Commercial road. Caveman vs the rest of us, we should just about be able to keep up. FInally, the dockyard, stuffed full of historical rotting piles of timber smiley - smiley

Abomination (highest ever bowling score 157, might still be able to get to 100 on a good day).


Portsmouth researchers

Post 80

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

The turret closed it's doors ages ago.

Gary is now a postman.

I've gone off most of the pubs in Southsea; although there are good ones around if you know where to look. Anyway, the Eldon Arms is nearby, or Wetherspoons by the guildhall, or the Fuzz & Firkin where Southsea Nick used to be.

Or plenty of real beer over at the SLOB (Sir Loin Of Beef) by the new Nick (should you feel the need to get arrested).

The bowling alley has a reasonable pint of Caffreys.

Jim


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more