A Conversation for 'MASH' - the Film

Film vs TV Series

Post 21

Whisky

Does anyone remember an episode of the TV series where they produced the whole lot with a hand-held camera from the point of view of a wounded soldier?


Film vs TV Series

Post 22

several, a/k/a random

actually, since the teevee show was on in prime time, i only occasionally watched the show, but in re-runs over the years since, they're a facinating slice of the best teevee has to offer.
when we did the play, the director specifically told the actors to NOT watch the movie or the re-runs, and to make it our own show.
it wasn't unusual for the 15-or-so actors to show up early and leave late, helping to both set up and tear down. we even re-did one scene, with the sound of the helicopters, the cast rushing about in controlled chaos, everybody adding their ideas on how to make it work.
they even carried a stretcher thru the audience one night.
smiley - musicalnote


Film vs TV Series

Post 23

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Impressive.

Yeah I've seen that episode with the wounded soldier. My favourite episode though would have to be the one with the dreams, excluding the goodbye farewell and amen episode.


Film vs TV Series

Post 24

several, a/k/a random

the wounded soldier episode is another example of how 'outside the box' the various actors, directors and writers were thinking. deadly serious, but not without some humour.
smiley - musicalnote


Film vs TV Series

Post 25

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

When I first started watching thats what I was told the series was like. The first one I ever saw was the one with the helicopter pilot who wanted to go home and tries several times to assisinate Henry Blake.


Film vs TV Series

Post 26

several, a/k/a random

many scenes, many episodes.....from the novel to the movie, the movie to the teevee show, to the stage show, to the follow-up books. yup, M*A*S*H is a franchise unto itself.
made a lotta people a lotta money, and still is, for those who have 'residuals' in their contracts for all the re-runs.
here's the blurb on the back cover of the 18th re-printing of the paperback, written by ring lardner, jr., who wrote the movie's screenplay : "Not since Catch-22 has the struggle to maintain sanity in the rampant insanity of war been told in such outrageously funny terms."
smiley - musicalnote


Film vs TV Series

Post 27

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Well said.


Film vs TV Series

Post 28

several, a/k/a random

yeah, i had to pull the book from the shelf downstairs, curious, and found i have the hardcover, too.
ring lardner, jr. is the son of semi-famed newspaper sportwriter ring lardner, and that quote sure does fit.
i also found my script book from the play---the book was in '68, the stageplay '73 and we must have done it the summer of '92.....
general hamilton hammond is in the stage play, too, first scene, talking to col. henry blake on the telephone when henry demands two more surgeons......and gets hawkeye and trapper john.
smiley - musicalnote


Film vs TV Series

Post 29

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Thats hardly fair, you have two copies, i have none.


Film vs TV Series

Post 30

several, a/k/a random

what can i say----i go to used bookstores, the goodwill, the salvation army stores and grab good titles.
i picked up 'crime and punishment,' 'the adventures of tom sawyer.' mary shelley's 'frankenstein' AND solzhenitsyn's 'one day of the life of ivan denisovitch' for under two dollars last may.
i even found 'the more than complete hitchhiker's guide' in a half-price bin, with the foreward written by DNA in '86.
smiley - musicalnote


Film vs TV Series

Post 31

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Impressive. I'll have to try that sometime. Only the only time I go in second hand book stores is with my Dad and I'm always bored to tears.


Film vs TV Series

Post 32

several, a/k/a random

my mum never hesitated in taking me to the two local libraries, and then much later had an account at one of the swap bookstores, so i've been a reader since i could.
i probably got my writing from her, too.
smiley - musicalnote


Film vs TV Series

Post 33

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

I guess I'm natural/ I don't tend to hang around with my rents too much.


Film vs TV Series

Post 34

HuskyMuskyHunter26

Wow, long bathroom break to this conversation!

Am watching the movie this morning. I grew up with the series, and watched the movie only after watching the tv version for several years. At first I didn't like the movie, and now, in some ways I prefer it. In terms of tone, I think the last few years of the tv show are most similar to the movie. Those last few years of the show we're somewhat less farcical than the first, and that's where it feels closer to the movie.

In hindsight, as I continue to watch M*A*S*H reruns, I like the seasons with BJ, Winchester, Potter, and a toned-down Klinger over the ones with Frank Burns and Col. Blake. I didn't know it as I first watched the series, but Frank Burns as a character was way too slapstick for my taste. Same thing with Blake, but a little less so.

I also have determined I like the theme as an instrumental, ala tv, vs the movie version of the song with lyrics.


Film vs TV Series

Post 35

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Hi Husky,

Welcome to h2g2. I have left you a message in your Personal Space which will hopefully help you find your way around your new home! smiley - ok


lil x


Key: Complain about this post