A Conversation for Margaret Thatcher - British Prime Minister 1979 - 1990

There is no alternative...

Post 1

Ormondroyd

I have a problem here. Thatcher had such a huge impact on my life and on those of every British person of my generation that I feel I must say SOMETHING about this Entry. The trouble is that it's almost impossible for me to express my feelings about Thatcher without breaching the h2g2 Terms & Conditions regarding offensive postings. However, I'll try.
She did so much damage to northern England that I and most of my friends were forced to become economic migrants. She pretty much abolished effective representation for employees in Britain. Only now are some limited workers' rights creeping back into British life, and even then it's mainly because of European legislation.
She moved the whole spectrum of British politics so far to the right that we now effectively have a choice between the Conservative Party and two other conservative parties. Her autocratic style of leadership set an example that Tony Blair appears to have learned from rather too well, much to the detriment of British democracy. She preached "freedom of choice", but after her reign we seemed to have very few real choices left.
She glorified greed and sneered at compassion. She helped some become super-rich, but drove countless more into poverty - and then celebrated that division, saying that "there have to be losers or there can be no winners".
She also famously said that "there is no such thing as society". Well, Margaret Thatcher is now in her mid-seventies and looking increasingly frail. It's reasonable to assume that, one day in the not-too-distant future, there will be no such thing as Margaret Thatcher. On that day, I expect to smile and laugh and drink a lot, and I don't expect to have any trouble at all finding people to celebrate with.
I'm not proud of feeling that much hatred towards any human being. But when it comes to Thatcher - well, as she often used to say, there is no alternative.


That Bloody Woman

Post 2

Bald Bloke

Ormondroyd, your well thought out comment has saved me from having to break the T&C's, I don't think I could have managed that without breaking at least some of the rules!!
And I'm a Southerner!!


That Bloody Woman

Post 3

Gwennie

*Gwen adopts the royal "we"*

My husband and I smiley - winkeye are both Southerners, marooned by the poverty trap in the North East of England and agree with everything you've said Ormondroyde! Well said that man! It's hard to even talk about the woman without feeling nothing but anger for ages afterwards...

Can we have that drinkie now??? smiley - bigeyes


That Bloody Woman

Post 4

Ormondroyd

Well, how's about one in a couple of weeks' time if Ken Livingstone becomes Mayor of London again, just as he was before Thatcher spitefully abolished the Greater London Council in an unsuccesful bid to shut him up?
I say "if" rather than "when" because my memories of the 1992 General Election are still too vivid and painful for me to assume anything before the votes are in. However, I did read today that he's now such a hot favourite that one leading chain of bookmakers are refusing to take any more bets on him winning.
Just think of it. Ken back in his rightful position of influence. Thatcher looking on, unable to do a thing about it.
I'd certainly drink to that. smiley - smiley


Ken4London

Post 5

Bald Bloke

Regretably it would appear we have been stitched up (as usual) because the mayor will have next to bugger all powers over anything relevent.
Despite having more people voting FOR him than the whole cabinet.

Still at least the new mayor will be a thorn in side of the PTB's at Whitehall.

Baldbloke

To secure for the workers by hand or by brain the full fruits of their industry........


Ken4London

Post 6

Gwennie

I strictly shouldn't say this, being a Green Party member, but what the hell!

GO KEN!!

I used to live in Ickenham which was in the borough of Hillingdon and still have my "Save the GLC" badge somewhere or other!

We'll have to arrange a virtual h2g2 party if Ken wins! smiley - smiley


Ken4London

Post 7

Ormondroyd

Great idea, Gwennie! I'll be there! smiley - smiley
Ken has advised his supporters to vote Green in the election to choose London Authority representatives, which is taking place simultaneously with the Mayoral election. So, if he wins, you can raise a virtual glass to toast Ken with a virtually clear conscience! smiley - winkeye
smiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fish (4 Fishes 4 Ken) smiley - winkeye


Ken4London

Post 8

Bald Bloke

Raises glass smiley - smiley


Ken4London

Post 9

Gwennie

*Staggers in with a huge bottle of bubbly and some party hats*

Yabba dabba dooski! smiley - smiley

Shall we have a wee party here?


Ken4London

Post 10

Bald Bloke

Hic!
Ive been raising my glass for a while smiley - smiley


Ken4London

Post 11

Ormondroyd

Ken as Mayor and three Green Party Assembly members. It couldn't have gone much better in London. Cheers! (raises glass)


Ken4London

Post 12

Gwennie

*Slips some green food dye into the champagne*

Hic! smiley - smiley Cheers beveryoddy! *Falls to the floor with a thud*


10 THATCHER-FREE YEARS!!! :-))))))))))

Post 13

Ormondroyd

smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrin

It's now 10 years since Thatcher was forced out of Downing Street.

LET'S CELEBRATE!!!

smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly


10 THATCHER-FREE YEARS!!! :-))))))))))

Post 14

Bald Bloke

Definately smiley - smiley

Mines a smiley - ale

Well ten of them at least smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more