Mongolian Barbeque

1 Conversation


Mongolian Barbeque1 is a style of cuisine where noodles, vegetables, and thinly sliced meat are cooked upon a special metal-topped Mongolian Stove.2 The legend goes that this style of cooking was developed by Mongol Warriors cooking on the underside of their shields.


In a modern Mongolian Barbeque restaurant, one is seated and served appetizers. These can be such things as breads, soup, egg rolls, or won-ton chips. After your appetite is whetted, you get up from your seat and make your way to the food. Grabbing a bowl, you go down a buffet-style assortment of noodles, meat, and vegetables. After you have made your selections, you will cover them in cooking oil, and other oils and sauces of your choice. Typical choices may include teriyaki, garlic chip oil, cooking wine, sweet and sour, and usually there is a “house” sauce. Now your meal is ready to be cooked. Handing your bowl to the Mongolian Chef, he will proceed to cook it on a huge (typically 5-8 feet in diameter) griddle3 heated by a gas flame underneath. Your food will be fried on the griddle as the cook keeps the food in constant motion by walking around the griddle, pushing and stirring the food with oversized chopsticks. An especially good Mongolian Chef will do this with much flourish and showmanship. The quality of the Mongolian Chef can be determined by how fast and far he flings the food off the griddle once it is cooked, and how well he catches it.

1Also, Mongolian BBQ, or simply "Mongo"2A large circular griddle3Described on some Mongo-Menus as "A special metal-topped Mongolian Stove"

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A286977

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more