A Conversation for British Fish and Chip Shops

Fish'n'Chips when you're hungry

Post 1

SallyM

Don't you always find that when you're really hungry you end up finding the best fish'n'chip shop in the world, tell the world and vow never to go to another place ever again.

Unfortunately the next time you go in, not quite as hungry, you realize that it wasn't quite as good, infact it's revolting.

This is especially so when it's raining.

SallyM smiley - smiley


Fish'n'Chips when you're hungry

Post 2

Woodlark

I wish I had that problem. Here in Montreal I develop cravings for fish'n'chips occaisonally, but have yet to find a decent place. I visited London once quite a few years ago, and only had fish'n'chips once... but since then I've been lost. Whenever I see it on the menu at a bar I try it... but they tend to bread the poor fishy darlings. Yuck! I've been reduced to eyeing the frozen fish'n'chips and the easy to make beer batter at the grocery store. I haven't tried yet... but soon I will.


Fish'n'Chips when you're hungry

Post 3

james007

I entirely agree with you. There's this fish and chip shop near us that did me a fantastic fish and chip supper once, so I went there again, took the missus, only to find that it really was nasty.

Perhaps it's a Law - you know, like Murphy's Law?

We could call it The SallyM Law of Fish And Chip Shops And Hungryness.
More hungry = higher illusion of tastyness


Fish'n'Chips when you're hungry

Post 4

SallyM

That could be a great idea - a whole law just named after me!

But what would happen if people hated the law? A bit like Murphy's becomes s*d's. People around the world would be going d*mn if only SallyM hadn't thought of the law we would still be enjoying substandard chips from once great fish'n'chip shops.

How will I cope with the pressure?

SallyM smiley - smiley


Fish'n'Chips when you're hungry

Post 5

james007

Frankly, I think it ought to be done... nobody hates Einstein's Law of Relativity. (Well, apart from schoolchildren. And, er, people who don't like science much. Which actually makes quite a lot of people...)


Fish'n'Chips when you're hungry

Post 6

SallyM

Well It's on my page now so It's THE LAW


Fish'n'Chips when you're hungry

Post 7

Fat Freddie

Sounds similar to experience I used to go through time and time again at university. Get home from where-ever, steaming, and abovre all, HUNGRY! then you go to the kebab van at the end of the road for some food....doner, chili sauce and mayo. mmm. ( i used to be able to get kebabs on tick if I'd spent all my money 8). However, have one for tea in the evening BEFORE going drinking, and they were, indeed, revolting. There was a rumour going round that 'a couple of years before me, some food scientist students analysed the meat they purchased from the van.....and it was like 10 % seagull, 90% unknown'....didn't care if it was true....they were the nicest kebabs I'd ever eaten. Incidentally, I was talking to someone about kebabs in reading (@ christchurch green, just by the university's gates) and he said he'd bought kebabs from this same van, and they were the best he'd ever tasted as well. Obviously there was lots of drinking going on.


Fish'n'Chips when you're hungry

Post 8

SallyM

Definately the craving for late night munchies makes you eat anything - no matter how much it looks like pigeon.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more