A Conversation for The Bible - a Perspective

More pi ?

Post 1

Uncle Ghengis

The problem of the big circular bronze bath in 1Kings7:23 has an interesting resolution. The story goes something like this...

In the Hebrew text the word for circle has a spelling mistake at this point - an extra 'Heh' (equivalent to our 'H') at the end.
Hebrew (like Greek) also has the property that letters have a numerical value and in this case the word has a value of 111, compared to the normal spelling which would have a value of 106.

The upshot of all this is that if you correct the diameter by 111 divided by 106 - you get an extraordinarily accurate value of PI.
More accurate than the normally used approxiamations than we're familar with.

It's amazing stuff, and the Bible is FULL of this kind of thing.
It's NOT just an ORDINARY book.
Go figure...


More pi ?

Post 2

GTBacchus

3.141509434..... not bad! Pi is closer to 3.1416, but the Biblical approximation, according to this, is closer than either of the commonly used ones: 3.14 and 22/7=3.142857...

3.1415926535897932384626433 8? . . . . . . . .


smiley - cheers
GTB


More pi ?

Post 3

Researcher 218612

Yes, that is pretty darn close to a perfect circle for a smitty living 3,000 years ago.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more