A Conversation for 'Blackadder' - the TV Series

Which is best?

Post 1

Dinsdale Piranha

What's the best series?

I reckon they should be ranked (best first) as Series 2, Series 4, Series 3, Series 1.

Miranda Richardson is the best as Elizabeth I.

Who can forget such classic scenes as:

Blackadder: 'Baldrick, you had better make the explanation you are about to give PHENOMENALLY good.'

Baldrick (holding a door): 'You said get the door.'


Which is best?

Post 2

shrinkwrapped

They're all superb... but I must agree that 2 is best.


Which is best?

Post 3

Beeblefish

The second is, of course, the best -- if only because of the minstral.

See the little Goblin
See His Little Feet
See His Little Nosey-Wose
Isnt the Goblin Sweet?


YES!!

~Beeblefish (A Better Chef than Baldrick) smiley - fish


Which is best?

Post 4

26199

It has to be said, Blackadder is clearly one of the most entertainingly humorous programs in the whole world.

'Who's Queen?' smiley - smiley

I seem to remember some sort of pun about 'Shepherd Spy' that I found immensely hilarious at the time....

And about turnips. There were definitely some bits involving turnips smiley - smiley.

26199


Which is best?

Post 5

Dinsdale Piranha

Or how about his explanation of the phrase 'Great booze-up Eddie!' to Lord and Lady Whiteadder?


Which is best?

Post 6

John

I (the page researcher) would have to agree that series 2 is probably the best series however there are episodes in all of the series that are truly excellent. Blackadder Back and Forth from the Dome is in it self a brilliant episode a must see. I have the scripts and am working on an up date to the entry.

J


Which is best?

Post 7

Lord Lopper

My absolute favourite bit has to be in the First series "the witchsmeller pursuivant"
When Blackadder discovers that the local wise woman has been burnt at a stake along with her cat and asks
"does anyone know what has happened here?"
whereupon a peasant sticks up his hand and says
"no......I don't"

and then goes on to say "I was completely over the other side of the village when we burnt her"



Which is best?

Post 8

Hatman ACE

I think Series 4 is the best as it portrays Blackadder as he really is (when it comes down to it), quite common. All this Lording about is quite silly. And of course:
(After telephone call)
"Actually Baldrick, it was Pope Gregory the Ninth..."


Which is best?

Post 9

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Blackie 4 definitely tops it for me. The Flahheart episode was a work of inspiration - how much innuendo can you cram into half an hour?

Example, just for the non-Brits who've never seen it. And please forgive me if the lines aren't 100% bang on.

*Sqd Cmdr Lord Flash is instructing a class of rookie pilots, including our heroes Cpt Blackadder, Lt George and Pte Baldrick, just before their first (and most likely last) journey into the wartime skies*

Flash: Okay boys, you have to treat your bird like you treat your woman.

George: What do you mean, sir? Take her home to meet your mother at weekends?

Flash: No, stupid. Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back! Woof! *strikes picture of aircraft with crop*


Though it is far better to watch of course.

And then there's Bob. Watch and learn.


Which is best?

Post 10

Dinsdale Piranha

But Flash and Bob are in 2, too.

'Hello, bridesmaid - like the beard! Gives me something to hang on to!' (does appropriate mime) 'Woof!'

Blackie going to the doctor: 'It's my manservant'.

Doc: 'OK just pop your manservant out and we'll have a look at it'


Which is best?

Post 11

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Oh, those heady days....

I hear they are deinitely on for a fifth series now, time will tell, I suppose.


Which is best?

Post 12

Hatman ACE

With Blackadder being Jesus's 13th disciple or so I hear.


Which is best?

Post 13

d005h

Has anyone seen the black adder film done especially for the dome?


Which is best?

Post 14

John

Yes. See my other reply made about a week ago.


Which is best?

Post 15

Fruitbat (Eric the)

My favourite bits aren't so much the clever lines - of which there are a LOT - as much as the attitude: Blackadder is one of those people who sees the lunacy he's surrounded by and does his best to poke holes in it - sadly, usually to his detriment. I love that because I feel the same way about the world. Therefore, my favourites are the Series 2 episodes.

I do feel the need to mention, though, that the cast-listing threw me a bit: one of the series mentions The Ambassador: Chris Barrie.
I've seen most of these shows far too often as I've got them on home recordings, and I've never encountered this character, or that actor....and because I love Red Dwarf, I think I'd've noticed by now.
There was another character mentioned and I can't remember now which one, especially since I've not seen him, either.

The Christmas episode is available in video shops - at least in Vancouver, BC - and only really becomes funny toward the end when Blackadder decides being nasty is much more fun....

Fruitbat


Which is best?

Post 16

Dinsdale Piranha

Chris Barrie appears in the 'Scarlet pimpernel' episode in series 3. He's one of the Frenchies that our heroes encounter in the dungeons before Blackadder kills the pimpernel character (whose name escapes me for the moment).


Which is best?

Post 17

One-Head

Chris Barrie plays the French ambassador, which turns out to be a revolutionary and a cruel person. The Scarlet Pimpernel is played by Tim McInnerny (if I'm not mistaking). He off course also gets killed by Blackadder (he drinks a glas of wine with the last of the pills).


Which is best?

Post 18

njan (afh)

My friend... is a missionary.

He's just been. to deepest Africa... and he brought back with hm a tribal indian cheif called Great.... Boo....

He was suffering from sleeping sickness, and he's evidently just got up. So I'd better go and see to him. Over to you, Perce.

Well done, Edmund...

<sorry.. had to add that.. that's my favourite quote. smiley - smiley

- Njan


Which is best?

Post 19

jasegroom

There's actually two pimpernels - Lord Smedley and Lord Topper, played by Tim McInnery and Nigel Planer. Blackadder kills both of them.


Which is best?

Post 20

Researcher 99947

jasegroom, can you pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase update your page? Even if you just delete the intro, that would be enough!


Key: Complain about this post