Talking Point: What The Romans Did for Us?

9 Conversations

 A motorway and the US Senate in Washington - do these represent the true legacy of the Romans?

You know about the aqueducts, the perfectly straight roads and that big wall they built to keep out the Scots. You've heard of the mad Emperors, like the one who made his horse a senator. Rome ruled most of the ancient world at one time, but what has that done for you lately?

How would modern life be different if there had never been a Roman Empire? What is the legacy of the most powerful civilisation the world had even seen? Given the Romans' tendency to 'borrow' their best ideas from the people they conquered, what can be thought to be purely 'Roman' anyway?

  • At least one in three English words are said to have come from Latin. How would the language sound today if not for the Roman empire?

  • Fancy a spot of Roman cuisine? Dust off your best garum1 recipe and think yourself lucky Italians now prefer pizza...

  • Do modern buildings sometimes look familiar? What about landmarks like statues, towers and columns?

  • Is there something Roman about modern politics? While the Greeks have a reputation for idealism, the Romans are famous for bending the rules when they had to.

  • Then of course there are the aqueducts, straight roads and that wall.

Straighten your togas and share your thoughts with us! The best comments may be used in a future Edited Entry.

1A sauce immensely popular with the Romans, made from putrefied fish intestines. Learn the recipe in our Garum entry!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2722169

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more