A Conversation for War - the Game

Chicken (variant 1 of many)

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

Group of children link arms in a circle and one of them throws something (usually a snowball, but gets more dangerous with age) up in the air. The aim of the game is to pull someone else underneath the falling object...and a chicken is anyone who breaks the circle to avoid the falling object.
We occaisionally played it with those cap-darts, but kids these days are more sensible than that - right kids smiley - winkeye.


Chicken (variant 1 of many)

Post 2

26199

Oooh, I used to have one of them cap-dart things. Can't say I ever played chicken with it, though...

Is it me, or is there an alarming lack of gunpowder-containing toys available for children nowadays? When I was a kid, I had a gun which you fitted with a spiral of paper covered in pockets of gunpowder... y'could fire it loads of times. Not that it fired anything, it just sort of went bang. Very cool, though.

Probably a symptom of the over-protective society we live in, methinks...

26199


Chicken (variant 1 of many)

Post 3

Wand'rin star

So long ago that the statute of limitations probably comes into play we made bombs out of gunpowder and lead piping on the marshes at Leigh on sea. Since these were reclaimed and are now manicured sports pitches and a bit of a yachting marina this opportunity is another that's long gone. I do sometimes wonder if we actually exploded ALL our ordnance


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more