A Conversation for Neil Jenkins

Cymru Am Byth

Post 1

Livzy

Tomorrow (4th March 2000) Wales are playing England at Twickenham.
We beat them last time out and I fully expect us to kick their Saxon a** again tomorrow!

Go on Jenks!!

WALES! WALES! WALES! WALES! WALES! WALES!


Cymru Am Byth

Post 2

DickieP

As an Englishman, I'd also, strangely, like to add my support for Wales. Mostly to get on the nerves of my boss who has been goading our Welsh team member all week.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 3

Dinsdale Piranha

That won't stop your Welsh team member giving you large amounts of stick along with everyone else in your office if the unthinkable happens today. Don't let sympathy get in your way!

Go, Jonny! Go Jonny! Go Jonny! Go! Go! Go!

(apologies to the Stranglers)


Cymru Am Byth

Post 4

Soapy

Yet again Wales live in the vain hope that they may beat England.................................and yet again they loose !!!!

42-12

Swing low, sweet charriot.
Coming forth to carry me home !!!

(Sorry to all my Welsh chums, but it had to be said!)


Cymru Am Byth

Post 5

Soapy

OK, before anyone start barrating me, I know it was 46-12, I just typed it wrong !!!


Cymru Am Byth

Post 6

Livzy

Twll dyn pob Sais!!!

(and lots of swear words and gnashing of teeth)


Cymru Am Byth

Post 7

Dinsdale Piranha

Well that's not very nice, is it?smiley - smiley

Sorry Grandad (my grandad, that is), but when Dallaglio took about a third of the Welsh team over the line with him I had to laugh.

I just hope that they don't lose it against the sweaties.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 8

Soapy

Being an Englishman living in Wales I still support England, but I hope that Wales don't get the wooden spoon. That honour I hope goes to the Scots !


Cymru Am Byth

Post 9

Dinsdale Piranha

Do you get the same thing as happened to me when I lived in Australia?

Basically, it ran like this - when England beat Australia at anything, I was told that I should consider myself an Aussie, but when Australia won, I was considered to be as English as they come.

The upshot of this was that, whoever won, I didn't get to celebrate.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 10

Soapy

I know the feeling well.
However,as Cardiff is full of English students, so it's not too bad.
Match day is normally spent in a student pub and not a local pub for fear of personal safety!


Cymru Am Byth

Post 11

Dewi Mawr

Don't be worried about your safety...this is Wales not England. We won't beat seven shades of brown stuff out of you just because you are from over the border.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 12

Dinsdale Piranha

'...this is Wales not England'? Oooh! Get back in the knife drawer, Miss Sharp! smiley - smiley

You'd have to BE the only Englishman in a pub full of Welshmen after England beat Wales 46-12 (sorry, couldn't resist that one) to appreciate the feeling of insecurity that engenders. The insecurity increases in direct proportion to the margin of victory and the amount of alcohol consumed per head.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 13

Soapy

Indeed - I feel a relavent formula is:

i = 2(A + L)M

Where:

i = insecurity
a = alcohol consumption
l = location
m = margin of victory


Cymru Am Byth

Post 14

Dewi Mawr

That's Mr Sharp to you if ya don't mind.
Fear...I'll tell you about fear...
Was in a similar situation last year. Living in South East London (Highest murder ratein the UK), wearing my colours with pride down to the local. It was probably worse for me, due to the nature of our win...Last minute victory, (Ahh...those were the days. etc) surrounded by two very big local teams who were just gearing up to give me some stick, and bang...All that enegry they were going to put into mocking me turned into a bit of a shocked rage.
The Landlord let me escape out of the back entrance for my own safety, which I think is why I am able to tell this today.

Back to Wales though...I honestly have never seen any hostility like that toward the opposition in any Welsh pub that I have been in...and I've been in a fair few.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 15

Dinsdale Piranha

I've never seen anyone beaten up in an English pub purely for being an outsider.

It just seemed to me that to imply that that sort of thing happens in England and only in England on the basis of one experience in a pub in an area with the highest murder rate seems a tad harsh.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 16

Soapy

Ahh......friendly English/Welsh rivalry.

Where would we be if we could not argue about which country is best?

There will always be "Welsh Only" pubs in Wales and "English Only" pubs in England. Having said that, if the clientel are that ignorant it won't be worth going in the pub in the first place.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 17

Dinsdale Piranha

I imagine that Dewi feels the same way about gratuitous references to sheep and wellington boots as I did about '...this is Wales not England.'smiley - smiley

I fondly tell myself that this inter-British Isles rivalry is the reason that we don't beat the southern hemisphere teams - we just don't care as much about losing to, e.g., the All Blacks as we do about losing to each other. I mean, if Scotland do us this year, it'll hurt much more than South Africa dumping us out of the World Cup.


Cymru Am Byth

Post 18

Soapy

Absolutely.

As seperate countries we continually loose to southern-hemishpere teams. However, when we pull together (British Lions) we've already proves that we can stuff the likes of South Africa!

Take your point about the Scots though! C'mon the Whites !!!


Cymru Am Byth

Post 19

Dewi Mawr

OK, points taken. Maybe it was a harsh statement to have made, and I must admit that I don't really hate the English, but I do enjoy the rivalry on a friendly scale.
As for sheep & wellie jokes, I don't dislike them, I just wish that you could think of a few new ones occasionally.
Sorry, but not with you for England to beat the Scots. A Grand Slam would be a little hard for me to deal with. OK, I know that it is as good as yours, but I can hope can't I?
As for the Lions, it is good to see us all united in seriously kicking some S.H. butt...even when Guscott does get all the credit after Jenks almost single handedly wins a match...but that's another argument, let's not go there.
Here's to peace and harmony amongst the home nations, may the fighting stop, but let the friendly bickering go on forever. Admit it...we'd miss it. smiley - smiley


Cymru Am Byth

Post 20

Dinsdale Piranha

Certainly would.

I'm only half English, anyway. The other half is equal parts Irish and Welsh.

Except when Six nations time comes around. Then I have to go with the majority.

Bring back the Home Internationals, I say. I know they didn't make lots of money, but at least it gave football fans something they could delude themselves about - "We're the British Champions you know".


Key: Complain about this post