A Conversation for An Introduction to The Beatles

The Fab Four, more...

Post 1

$u$

Ringo Starr also had something of an, albeit not so successful, solo career. His song 'You're sixteen, you're beautiful, and you're mine' did reasonably well. Whilst I have not seen him appearing on any children's TV programmes, he has done many of the narrations for the 'Thomas the Tank Engine' stories.

I also recall, from many corroborating sources, that John and Paul went to school together, and consequently met there. The band went through various names, including 'The Silver Beatles' which was shortened by their record company (as was their hair!), to give them the name (and mop tops!) that made them famous. Former members included their friend Stuart Sutcliffe (who died in Germany), and their original drummer Pete Best, whom Ringo filled in for at one time. The lads decided that they preferred Ringo's style of drumming, and that Pete had never really fitted into the group anyway, despite much protestation from the fans at the time.

Their first number one hit in Britain was 'Love Me Do', the previous release 'Please Please Me' only reaching number two, although this has been disputed at times. They also made several films, including 'A Hard Day's Night', 'Help' and 'Magical Mystery Tour'.

The fans were at one time convinced that Paul McCartney had died, initially spurred by his not being on the album cover of Sgt Pepper (?), for which a stand-in had been employed, necessarily having his back to the camera. Many 'signs' were then brought forth, such as the hand above his head on album covers (an Eastern symbol of death), and the registration number '28 IF' on a car on the Abbey Road album cover.

I could go on! This is such an amazingly huge topic, and a discography is clearly beyond the bounds of this guide entry, but there is so much more that needs to be put in. I think this is a case for several linked articles. Thanks IW. smiley - smiley

~A~


The Fab Four, more...

Post 2

Bluebottle

Paul and John DID NOT go to the same school - they met at Woolston Fete. Sorry. smiley - sadface I recommend reading Coleman's biography of John Lennon as it is very detailed as to the early years.
But you're right about Ringo's career, and as for the Paul McCartney death thing, there's an article about that at:
http://www.h2g2.com/A277328
"Please Please Me" was number 1 in 3 of the four music charts of the time, there was not one official chart then. Parlophone did not change their name, but John did after being called "Long John Silver", and the mop-top hairstyle was created by Sutcliffe's fiance.
See also:
http://www.h2g2.com/A261217
http://www.h2g2.com/A251326
http://www.h2g2.com/A295562


The Fab Four, more...

Post 3

$u$

I found my Beatles CDs a couple of days ago, having wondered where they had vanished to. Then I thought I'd look The Beatles up on h2g2, and on reading Irving's article, found all this stuff flooding back that I didn't realise I still knew.smiley - smiley

Much of it is based on some Beatles books I read a long while ago, and one or two rockumentaries/films, at least one of which claimed to be 'definitive'. I stand by everything I said, until I hear/read convincing evidence to the contrary. Of course, with four band members, and countless writers, some of whom had first hand information from one or more member, but most who did not, there is bound to be many conflicting accounts. After all, in general, different individuals if asked separately about events which happened years ago, are unlikely to give the same answers or opinions. As for album covers, my vinyl is in storage, so comments are based on memory only.

No first hand experience, as I wasn't alive in the heady days of Beatlemania. smiley - sadface

But at least I've got my memories... erm... I mean LPs. smiley - smiley

~A~


The Fab Four, more...

Post 4

Bluebottle

I agree with what you say, a lot of conflict is inevitable, as there are 4 different viewpoints amongst the Beatles themselves. I tend to go along with the Beatles Anthology view, and as for the biography, I tend to agree with it as Ray Coleman knew John Lennon quite well, even before the Beatles were famous, and John's Aunt Mimi, Cynthia and Yoko Ono all had a part in reviewing it.
That doesn't mean that there aren't any mistakes, or contrary views in it, though. smiley - winkeye


The Fab Four, more...

Post 5

$u$

Hmm... the jury's still out on Yoko. Can't approve of the way she treated Julian. And boy, does he look (and sound) like his dad! Whatever talk there was of the Beatles reforming with him in John's role could never be. The Beatles could never be recreated, and would the fans really want it anyway? It's like someone re-painting the Mona Lisa!smiley - winkeye

Someone round here said Sean is in the music biz now. Haven't seen him since he were a lad. 'Where is he now'?

~A~


The Fab Four, more...

Post 6

Bluebottle

I don't know - I haven't really followed the Lennon's that well. I've mainly concentrated on Paul McCartney's career, as it is more succesful.
As for Yoko, I've mixed feelings about her - but on the whole I am more supportive of her than not. I still feel sympathy for Cynthia - but John was always too busy for Julian until the end.


The Fab Four, more...

Post 7

$u$

Hmmm...well John's was pretty successful until he was shot. It's one of those days I won't forget. It's hard to lose your 'hero' when you're so young.smiley - sadface

~A~


The Fab Four, more...

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

Oh yes. I lost him on my 17th birthday. I woke up to hear Beatles songs (3 in a row!) on Radio 1, followed by the words "that was the Beatles with the late John Lennon". The rest of it is a blur. Even now I get sad on my birthday because of that. smiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more