A Conversation for Superstitions

salt

Post 1

Researcher 167478

My father will never give you the saltpot in the hand.He always puts it down first.He says its an old tradition dating back to Roman times when the soldiers were paid in salt and so, giving salt into the hand is the same as giving away money.


salt

Post 2

Cheerful Dragon

I've just re-read the article, including the bit about throwing salt over your left shoulder. I always understood that you throw salt over your left shoulder to blind the devil that sits there, not to knock him off. That way, he can't see the "sin" you've committed by spilling salt. Salt which used to be a very expensive commodity, and therefore was not to be spilt! One of the reasons Roman soldiers received part of their pay in salt was because it was so valuable. In fact, if a commander felt that one of his men had not performed up to standard, he would withold some of the salt!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more