A Conversation for Storing Eggs

Egg preservation

Post 1

O.R.C.

Your article on egg preservation brought memories of my early childhood in the late 1950s, flooding back. We had hens when I was little and my parents used to preserve their eggs in water-glass. I seem to recall the name Ising Glass or something similar but I don't know if I'm imagining it or not.
I also recall a china egg we used to put in with the hens to encourage them to lay and roughly crushed seashells we mixed with their food to help the eggshell production.
I must admit that this also brings back memories of a simple but effective contraption we used to have in a outhouse for breaking chickens' necks, almost like a metal nutcracker attatched to the wall. Strangely, although I couldn't bear to witness it now, I had no problem as a child watching its use nor the gutting of the birds once dead.
I had forgotten all these things until now.


Key: Complain about this post

Egg preservation

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more