A Conversation for Chicken Stock

Stock

Post 1

lee lee

Now that's some info I can use.It feels at times I'm swimming with the sharks.


Stock

Post 2

Researcher 93445

I suppose you could make stock out of sharks if you really wanted to. Probably it would make good aspic, as sharks are high in cartilege.


Stock

Post 3

lee lee

Speaking of aspic....I heard on NPR a recipe for that made of calves feet,making sure to wash them well first.


Stock

Post 4

Researcher 93445

That does not surprise me. Aspic is (traditionally) made from animal-based gelatin. The richest source of such things is the animal protein keratin, which is what horns and hooves are made of. So cooking down hooves should yield very firm aspic. Of course, if you make chicken stock and stick it in the fridge, it will usually gel, although in a wobbly rather than a firm fashion, thanks to boiling the proteins out of the bones and marrow. This works better if you crack the bones first.


Stock

Post 5

Maita

Well, if you want to thicken your chicken stock, and go through the ghastly process of the Guide article that gave birth to this forum, you may want to add the chicken's feet (you know, the ones they walk on) to the stock. That's where most of the gelatin is in the chicken. It may be a good idea simply because it has been found to help with arthritis. However, it has nothing to do with why the chicken crossed the road. No self-respecting chicken broth will be without some basics. Those have been mostly covered, yet you still need a whole peeled onion, a couple of garlic cloves, a tomato, a scraped carrot, the heart from a green bell pepper, 10 peppercorns, a sprig of parsley and some salt. All this is just to get a basic stock; if you want to flavor it, then you add some thyme, a bay leaf, a stalk of celery, etc. You must skim the water with all the stuff when it first comes to a boil and remove all the yucky grayish-brown foam; otherwise you won't get a clear broth. It is a good idea to refrigerate the broth and remove the congealed fat from the surface the next day if you worry about cholesterol. You may save that fat for multiple uses if you don't worry about the big C.: it's great for frying eggs, or to cook garlic cloves to put on a dish to keep vampires away.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more