A Conversation for The 1960s - an Introduction

Radio Shows

Post 1

McKay The Disorganised

Strangely its the radio of the 60's I remember more than the television.

Sunday afternoon, after dinner, with The Clitheroe Kid, H-H-H-Hancock's Half Hour, The Navy Lark, Professor Jimmy Edwards, Ted Ray, and my eternal favourite Round The Horn.

I can remember falling about laughing at "Julian & Sandy" and the strange language conjured up by Kenneth Williams and Bill Pertwee, though of course I had no idea what it was talking about. Or the balderdash twittered by Rambling Sid Rumpo, (Williams again) about splods, cord-wangles, and the like. The ridiculous plays sending up film styles, the digs at the BBC hierarchy, the stock characters that developed a life of their own. Even the announcer (Douglas Smith) had parts written for him, and would complain in his 'BBC voice' about the lack of characterisation.

Another radio favourite was 'I'm sorry I'll Read That Again' a combination of the Goodies and The Python team (Who's singing The Angus Prune tune right now ?) We used to sneak out of school at lunchtime to a friend's house to listen to this.

smiley - cider


Radio Shows

Post 2

U695218

I remember the radio shows you mention and the Ken Dodd radio show too,"Where's me shirt"? Like you, Round The Horne was my favourite. Sometimes I'd be with my sister in the car outside a beautiful canal side pub drinking vimto and eating oxo flavour crisps while Mom, Dad and a whole gaggle of relatives would be inside with their Sunday drinks (pre-breathaliser days). Yes, Sand and Jool, Rambling Sid, the film spoofs, Charles and Fiona (tribute to Noel Coward) and the musical break provided by The Frazer Hayes Four. It's strange to think how this was all before mobiles, pocket calculators, pounds and pence etc. I know memories are often tinged with nostalgia, but it was a time of major social change and great TV, music and a whole host of other things.smiley - alesmiley - ale


Radio Shows

Post 3

Smudger879n

Yea! I remember them radio shows, as I used to bo out with my Dad on his ice cream van and listening to them. We had Billy Cotton band show, The Clithoro Kid, Ken Dodd and many others!

Then later on in the afternoon at 5pm we got the Top Twenty, in those days radio had more comedy. Then on Sundays we had Two way Family Favourites, a link with forces posted overseas, normally in Germany.

I can still remember my Dads wee transister radio (A Stella) red with a white dial, it was in my old school bag behind the drivers seat, to stop it being thrown around in the van.
Ah! yes, Happy Dayssmiley - coolsmiley - winkeye
smiley - cheersSmudger.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more