A Conversation for Cigarettes

why I smoke

Post 1

Fredward Headboard

many times I have asked myself why I smoke when it is a pretty disgusting habit and bad for my health. To a non smoker smoking seems inane and can't be understood indeed starting smoking is not actually that easy as you won't enjoy it for at least a month or so.

But once you smoke it has so many benefits. Smoking is relaxing and gives you a way to prevent boredom. Ciggarette breaks become something to look forward to throughout the day and a chance to socialise with others. Like any drug smoking is also pleasurable it gives you an ironic sense of well being and enjoying a pint of lager and a few cigarettes makes you feel happy and content. Smoking also alleviates stress cigarettes have many times calmed my nerves before exams or stressful events.


why I smoke

Post 2

doggymad (the dog with the curly tail that just wont go straight!)

i can honestly say i started smoking as something to do that would annoy my parents when i was 15.
i have been suffering for it now for nearly 6 years and thanks to the good thinking person in charge of the scottisg nhs i have just got the patches on prescription.
i have enlisted the help of my also smoking husband to quit. we have set a date to be smoking free and are dedicated to doing it for the sake of our nearly 2 year old daughter and the fact that a year or so down the line we want anouther child.
to be a non smoker is a dream to me, and when it becomes a reality it will be amazing. smiley - smiley

non smokers should not be har on smoers as many of them hate themselves enough to be smoking, and want to quit


why I smoke

Post 3

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

When my wife was a medical student she attended a birth. The woman was a smoker. One third of the placenta was dead, and the baby was lower than average birthweight. This is apparently normal when mothers or their partners have smoked during a pregnancy. Makes you think, doesn't it?


why I smoke

Post 4

doggymad (the dog with the curly tail that just wont go straight!)

but then thats not always true either.
i am ashamed to say i smoked with my irst child and she was still a healthy weight and everything has been normal with her.

though i will admit this is not always the case, i just thought it was fair to tell you it might be normal its not gospel. some women do smoke when pregnant and there is no apparant effect to the baby. not o say that this is the case right through their lives of course. asthma and chest infections are higher in children who's parents smoke or smoked while pregnant.


why I smoke

Post 5

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I guess that as with all things epidemiological, there is a variation about a mean. Some smokers live to a ripe old age with no ill-effects. Most do not, of course, hence the desperate efforts of the tobacco companies to recruit new customers faster than they can kill their existing ones..... smiley - winkeye


why I smoke

Post 6

doggymad (the dog with the curly tail that just wont go straight!)

the same thing goes is you learn by example, so if you work on that principle if you smoke, then your children are brought up thinking its the norm, then they bring their children up the same way etc...
i know this can be true as only last week i found my daughter playing with an empty cigarette box. She is not even 2 yet. now me and my husband have got the patches and have been non smokers for a day and a half. and i have to admit it is easier an i thought!!!! smiley - smiley


why I smoke

Post 7

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Good for you.


why I smoke

Post 8

doggymad (the dog with the curly tail that just wont go straight!)

dont know how much longer i can last though, i am still desperate for a ciggarette, these patches are useless ggrrrrr


why I smoke

Post 9

Ivich

I'm trying to stop smoking 'cos I think I'm a bit of a waster when I smoke - having a fag feels like a positive activity that I take time out to do.
But actually, I seem to light up & end up watching the Eastenders omnibus.
Again.
And now I've graduated, slacking stops being quite so much fun.There's something a bit tragic about smoking once all your carefree companions disappear & I feel this boring desire (not even necessity, but voluntary desire!)to grab life & not waste it.
Hope it doesn't mean I will put on a business skirt & sit behind a desk all day though.
Currently still envy you smokers the fags you will enjoy with your beers later though smiley - winkeye


why I smoke

Post 10

Ivich

I'm trying to stop smoking 'cos I think I'm a bit of a waster when I smoke - having a fag feels like a positive activity that I take time out to do.
But actually, I seem to light up & end up watching the Eastenders omnibus.
Again.
And now I've graduated, slacking stops being quite so much fun.There's something a bit tragic about smoking once all your carefree companions disappear & I feel this boring desire (not even necessity, but voluntary desire!)to grab life & not waste it.
Hope it doesn't mean I will put on a business skirt & sit behind a desk all day though.
Currently still envy you smokers the fags you will enjoy with your beers later though smiley - winkeye


why I smoke

Post 11

doggymad (the dog with the curly tail that just wont go straight!)

well me personally, i have a 21 month old girl who is the naughtiest child you have ever seen and if i get stressed, i like to put her in her room and have a smiley - tea and cig, calms me down for round 2.
the times i thought i would miss a cig, like first thing in the morning, after meals, was wrong, i am able to combat that, by cutting the caffiene intake or going and doing something immidiately after eating, rather than sitting thinking about it x


why I smoke

Post 12

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Since caffeine is an "upper" and nicotine notionally a "downer" you would be better off driking a glass of water, forgoing the fag and practicing a bit of autohypnosis to calm down smiley - winkeye


why I smoke

Post 13

doggymad (the dog with the curly tail that just wont go straight!)

i dont know about that but your right about the drinking water.
but i prefer to just keep busy, idle hands want ciggarettes busy hands forget!


why I smoke

Post 14

Ozone

Nicotin is one of the most adictive drug known to man.
Yet that's really all it does.
The bad stuff in the good old coffin nails is the tar and carbon monoxide which is produced when you burn the tabacco.
But all this talk makes me want one.
I agree a coffee and cancer stick are the only thing to get me going in the morning.
It's these "I want to live forever" people that make us smokers feel guilty about enjoying our freedom.

Join with me brothers and sisters in a SMOKE.


why I smoke

Post 15

Thumper2002

Ive smoked for 30 years and 5 months now and yes I was introduced to it by a friend at school.

As far as actual smoking is concerned we are supposed to live in a free country, us smokers do not dictate to non-smokers how to live their lives so what right do they have to dictate to us how to live our lives. That having been said it wouldnt do the smokers of our sociaty to be a lot more comassionate to the non-smokers especially as we now no the dangers of passive smoking.

I am and have ALWAYS been a VERY commpassionate smoker always asking peoples permission if I can smoke when I am in a group made up with both smokers and non-smokers EVEN in my own home and if anyone objects then I will go out into my kitchen.
Its no big deal and it keeps the atmosphere in the group very friendly and being friendly towards others doesnt take a lot of effort and you are remembered for it.

As for attempting to give up THAT my friends is another story.

The only real insentive I ever had to give up was getting pregnant because I vowed I would NEVER smoke during my pregnancy or while my child/ren were growing up as I felt I was there to protect them not slowly kill them but sadly I couldnt have any kids so my only insentive went right out the window.

My husband who smoked for 38 successfully gave up in February last year - wed decided to give up together - unfortunately I failed every nickotine replacement therepy on the market I either wasnt able to use because of some medical condition eg I cant use the inhaler becaus I have a bowel condition or I have an allergic reaction to some of the ingrediants that they contain eg patches Im allergic to plasters. In the end I used the patches by covering up the adhesive that they used and sticking them on with micropore this did the trick as far as the allergy went but they made me ill. As well as making me ill I sufered so badly with th withdrawal symptoms my GP thought I was coming off Heroine becaus my symptoms were exactly the same as for a heroine user. I was like that for 3 days and nights. In the end I just asked why am I puttingmyself through all of this misery and pain, so on the morning after the third night I lit up a cigarette and that was it for me and Im still smoking 30 plus a day and Im still just as compassionate towards non-smokers its just a great pity that they're not as compassionate towords me. I must stress that Ive always found the ex-smokers alot more compassionate than the non-smokers and yet the so called experts say its the other way round.

I shall almost certainly be a smoker now until the day I die.

Im now going to go and make a coffee and have a cigarette. xx


why I smoke

Post 16

several, a/k/a random

yeah, i smoke, and my mother died of various cancers, a friend just underwent both chemo and radiation. i either can't or won't quit, and one thing i notice is that when i'm writing, i want to have one burning constantly, even as ash falls on my mouse pad.


why I smoke

Post 17

Lauren

I tried my firt cigarette when i was 13 and this put me off for quite a while. but i really started smoking last year, and i don't find to many disadvantages.
I needed my Fag in the morning as well as i needed my coffee, and when ever a situation suddenly turned out to be stressfuL: there i was, my cigarette in the right hand.
but since i moved to the Uk things have changed for me.
it is not that i changed my attitude and opinion about smoking, nor have i been influenced by anyone.
the point that hit me was the immensly high price for a single pack of fags, so i had to make a decision, whether i'd like to continue this addiction or spent my money on other stuff.
apperantly the other stuff turned out to be a lot of chewing gum and chocolate, in order to fight my craving for the blue dust.
i decided to try it without my beloved smoke and i've been quite successful so far.
but i could actually garantee that i ll start again the very day i leave the uk, go back to my homecountry and see those nice and cheap cigs in a stressful situation...........smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more