A Conversation for Giving your Cat or Dog Medication

GIVING PILLS TO THE ANIMALS

Post 1

Barneys Bucksaws

The easiest experience I had was giving pills to our dog, a Springer Spaniel. She loved to have her biscuits tossed to her and snap them out of the air. Two milk bones, then the pill, and another milk bone, and the pill was gone. I don't think she even tasted it!

The cat was another matter. When our Cleo was a kitten she had worms, really bad! The treatment was 3 pills, given a week apart. The first pill was easy. She was so sick she lay on her back on my knee and didn't object at all. When it was time for the second one, she was feeling much better, and the fight was on! We managed that one, and a week later I had to administer the third pill. We were all over the kitchen floor, she bit and scratched me, and hissed and growled at me. The pill was in, and out of her mouth till it was soggy. You can't imagine how far a cat can spit a pill! Finally I wrestled her over to the stove and pulled down a tea towel. With much difficulty I got it wrapped securely around her and her paws pinned down, straddled the cat and held her between my knees, her lying on her back. She opened her mouth to hiss at me and in went the pill, right to the back of her tongue. She got her medication, I got hydrogen peroxide on my cuts, and she didn't speak to me for 2 days. I think she's afraid to get sick again!


Key: Complain about this post

GIVING PILLS TO THE ANIMALS

More Conversations for Giving your Cat or Dog Medication

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more