A Conversation for Stapelia Gigantea: Giant Carrion Flower

Very good...

Post 1

clzoomer- a bit woobly

..but do people actually cultivate a plant that has flowers that smell like rotting meat?

smiley - rofl

Well done, anyway. smiley - ok


Very good...

Post 2

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

I happen to know of a Researcher who is oh-so-patiently awaiting the blossoming of her Dracunculus Vulgaris, a junior cousin to the Amorphophallus Titanum. smiley - whistle

Perhaps a part of it is the successful cultivation and growth of something very 'distinctively different'? smiley - laugh


Very good...

Post 3

~:*-Venus-*:~

This is a great entry smiley - smiley
I have two stapella's which sit on my kitchen windowsill and have been known to take cuttings and propogate more. the flowers, despite the smell are very striking and well worth the aroma for a few days smiley - smiley
I'm also the owner of the Dracunculus mentioned in the previous post smiley - erm


Very good...

Post 4

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

I didn't said nuthin' ... honest !!! smiley - whistle


Very good...

Post 5

Willem

Hello, I'm the author! Thanks for the comments. I myself cultivate these flowers ... I am quite fascinated by the whole group! I live in South Africa and over here we have over two hundred different kinds of carrion flowers. The group is amazingly diverse! Only the bigger species smell bad ... but I would not miss out on having *them* in my collection just because of that! And really (well to me at least!) the smell is not that bad. I have the bigger ones growing outside where it's no bother at all. I used to have a whole windowsill of Stapelia kwebensis - a species with smaller flowers - in my room, and they flowered profusely, and you could smell it coming in from the hall to my room - but it was more of a 'spicy' sort of smell, to me not bothersome at all! But anyways, they are also outside now.

To me it's not so much a matter of having something 'distinctively different' ... since here in South Africa there are in fact lots of people who like carrion flowers and grow them in their gardens! I like almost everything about these plants, even the ways in which they attract flies! At any rate most species have very beautifully intricate flowers, which reward a really close-up look, smell or no smell. Apart from the flowers I like the appearance of the plants themselves as well ... they have a great diversity of sizes and shapes and textures and styles of growth.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Stapelia Gigantea: Giant Carrion Flower

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more