Xmas in the information age

1 Conversation

It seems to me that there should be some remark on the winter holidays (christmas, winter solistice, and so on) and the information age. My thought goes along that line: an evidence for really having reached information age could be seen in the number of personal/other mails and news one gets over the holidays. Nowadays there is a strong and - for the information loved - badly feelable - loss in mails/news over the holidays. Of course, the reason for that is really simple: All the people with access to the net from their colleges and universities, from offices and other working places are at home, doing holidays with their family/their beloved being/nobody at all sadly and don't participate in net communication over that time. So, as a raw thumb rule, we can generalize from this evidence: if their isn't a loss, but a surplus of mails along holidays, then we see a society in front of us that truely has reached information age (and can go for other, much more exagerated and or famous goals now).

Sadly, we may have to wait a bit, regarding the human society placed on planet earth .. :-(

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A236954

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more