A Conversation for Russian Peasant Multiplication

Excellent Stuff

Post 1

The Apprentice

Excellent - great article. It even worked (once I'd mastered the ability to double and half numbers without making simple errors!).

smiley - ok

The Apprentice


Excellent Stuff

Post 2

Icy North

Thanks TA smiley - ok

"It even worked"

Well, that's a bonus! smiley - laugh


Excellent Stuff

Post 3

Sho - employed again!

but it was so much quicker just to multiply the numbers in my head!
smiley - laugh

interesting stuff though
smiley - cheers


Excellent Stuff

Post 4

Icy North

Sssh - don't say that - they'd never have published it!

smiley - ok


Excellent Stuff

Post 5

CRich70

It is neat how you can do little math tricks to simplify calculation.

Take 16 *8 for example. 16* 8 = 128
If you double the 16 to 32 and halve the 8 to 4 you still get 128, and if you double the 32 to 64 while reducing the 4 to a 2 then you get 64 *2 = 128. You just reduce the one to its lowest denominator (if I remember my math correctly) while raising the other to its largest # by an equal amount. Numbers like 60 *4 are easy as well. 6 * 4 = 24 then you just add back the 0 so 60 *4 =240.


Excellent Stuff

Post 6

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Interesting.

TRiG.smiley - biggrin


Excellent Stuff

Post 7

Icy North

Hi TRiG smiley - smiley

It's something every schoolchild should be taught, in my opinion. Not that it's a practical method (because it isn't), but it's a simple introduction to number theory.

smiley - cheers Icy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more