Visas

2 Conversations

Well the Americans have finally lost it.

The new visa proceedure is the last straw. Yes, we all agree that more needs to be done to protect us from terrorism. Yes, we should introduce biometric passports, yes we should be more able to prove we are who we say we are. I'm glad of these changes to security.

But one issuing office per country??? If you want a visa, you have to go to the US embassy in London, or nip across the Irish Sea to the one in Dublin. And if you have a family or are travelling in a group, you ALL need to go to the embassy, take an interview, have an iris scan and fingerprints taken and then hand over £671 for the priveledge. One office? In London! What were they thinking? My parents live about as far away from London on the mainland as you can go. How are they supposed to cope? My aunt lives in Orkney. She has enough trouble getting to Aberdeen to see her son in one go.

Queueing

Conservative estimates say that 20,000+ people per month are going to need one of these visas2 until the new passports are put in place. Have you seen the size of the US embassy? 20,000 people per month on top of the number they already deal with? They'll never fit in the place.

It's easy to see that whoever came up with this new rule about needing a visa has never had to queue in a post office for their car tax disc. You can probably already picture the scene; the queue is going to be stretching all the way out the door, down the street and around the corner. Then down that street, round the next corner and over the bridge. Police are going to have to be drafted in to keep the queue orderly3.

Most countries are going to be introducing biometric passports in the next few years anyway, this new visa system only makes it more complicated. It makes policies from the UK home office look relatively well thought out.

Fallout and Consequences

Some countries are taking what seem like tit-for-tat retaliation, making all US travellers be photographed and fingerprinted upon entry. Brazil is one example. It can take up to 20 minutes for a US citizen to get through customs there.

Many travel companies are predicting that holiday makers will simply go elsewhere for their holiday and avoid all the fuss completely. And who could blame them4? I have travelled to the US on several occasions. I never fly from any London airport, because it is too damned expensive. I flew from Manchester and Newcastle.

Let's look at my new holiday plan.

So now, I have to travel all the way from Edinburgh to London, go to the embassy5, wait ages in line, get a very personal interview, have measurements taken, pay my £676, get my visa (do you even get it the same day?), travel back to Manchester and book into a hotel, because I'll never be able to get a flight by the time I get there. Now I have to get up in the morning, get to the airport, get on my flight, get to the US and then have my body compared with the details on my visa.

Compare this with my old route.

Got on a plane in Edinburgh, landed in Manchester, caught connecting flight to US, landed in US, went through customs.

I could do all that without any overnight stays. I cannot see how I could possibly avoid one with the new 'detour' to London, and may even need two nights away from home.

The Funny Side

It reminds me of two old jokes:

When I flew to the US last, I was given a white card (part of the visa waiver) which asked many questions, including:

'Do you intend to overthrow the government of the Unites States of America?'

And I thought: 'Who in their right mind is ever going to put 'Yes' ?'

And as I was thinking this, I was told a story by the man sitting next to me about when a famous celebrity, it might have been Spike Milligan, had seen the same question, and had answered:

'Not on this trip.'

Related BBCi Links

  • BBC News Online: US Security checks: Your reaction - Opinions about the new US visa requirements.

Atlantic Cable

05.02.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1That's £67 each.2Above and beyond the number of people who already need one.3Don't forget what happened when there was that big delay in issuing new passports a few years ago.4I certainly would wait and just apply for the new passport next year.5Which will be easy to spot by the huge queue flooding out the front door.6What's the bet they don't accept Switch?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2264041

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more