A Conversation for Mediation

Systems in schools

Post 1

You can call me TC

In one of our local schools - a really rough school - they have started training some kids - right through the age groups - to mediate and help control fights in the playground, etc. If this really gets going, it is certainly acting where learning to resolve conflicts by discussion is really needed the most, at least in society.

Kids are far more open to this sort of thing, provided it's sorted out before they are, say, 13.


Systems in schools

Post 2

Researcher 215290

Mediation in schools, colleges and prisons is called 'peer mediation' because it is always subject to 'adult supervision.

If you look at the Quakers organisation website you will find information about 'LEAP' plus resources for primary schools and secondary schools.

Mediation is non-judgemental. It provides a 'safe' forum for communication. Unlike courts and tribunals, 'joint meetings' can become very emotional, so proper training is essential.

Practitioners claim it works for between 50% and 90% of users(compared with about 15% satisfaction for courts) and unlike legal confrontation, the cooperative approach tends to mend relationships.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more