A Yank Searches for a House in 'Brum

0 Conversations

My Irish Husband Tony and I moved to Birmingham in September of 2004. This past year we finally decided it was time to quit paying rent. This is a chronicle of our journey through the world of UK property buying.

The Votes Are In!

This past week, while you were voting, one or both of us:

  • Got up at 6:00am to drive three hours in the dark on windy roads through the mountains of Wales to get on a ferry, eat crap breakfast and get off in Dublin to drive to my Irish husband Tony's daughter Kerrie.

  • Hung out in Kerrie's fabulous apartment north of Dublin and ate all the fabulous food she cooked.

  • Drove in bright daylight on windy roads to the middle of nowhere, to Tony's daughter Naomi's brand-new house in a development that looks exactly like where my brother lived in Pittsburgh, PA.

  • Left at 11:00pm to drive four hours in the dark on windy roads, wrapped in fog, through the mountains of northern Ireland and Northern Ireland, to Belfast to get on a ferry, eat sandwiches we brought with us and get off in Stranraer to drive four hours in the dark on windy roads, wrapped in fog, through the mountains of Scotland, stopping for a break until the sun came up, after 8:00am.

  • Spent two fabulous days in Edinburgh in a two-bedroom apartment (gorgeous — we almost put in an offer. Force of habit) with Kerrie and eight-year-old granddaughter Erin, who is still trying to decide if she likes Edinburgh as much as or better than Paris.

  • Left at a civilised time to drive eight hours in bright daylight on windy roads through the mountains of Scotland, and then (by 4:00pm) in the dark and rain on wide motorways through England, back home to Birmingham.

  • Told the other one to forget about it each time she mentioned the two house choices or showed people the pictures and asked them to vote.

While we were driving and eating, you guys were hard at work. So many of you sent us emails with your advice!

And the winner is... Wait.

Geesh, you're a conservative bunch. 'Wait' got twice as many votes as Buxton Road. Upper Holland Road got none — well, no confident votes. Maybe none of you want to have to sleep on a sofa bed in the living room?

As David in Seattle, who is going through the same process there, asked, 'How often do you think you would have visitors, and how much do you want visitors?'

Dick in Florida advised waiting until the snow falls — but we don't really get much snow in Birmingham. Renee in Pittsburgh said you can't have too much closet space — but we don't have any closet space in the whole UK. It's bring your own; you buy a 'wardrobe'.

And Janie B in New York pointed out, 'If the Queen demands her rights it would be a good idea to have a guest bedroom where you can stay while she reigns over your domicile. Do corgis like cats? Do cats tolerate corgis?'

Probably the best advice came from, no surprise, real estate agent Mary in Iowa, who said, 'You'll know the house when you see it. And when the deal starts to go south, that's a sign too — let it go.'

So today, while Tony is at work, I’m going to drive (yes, I can drive over here. I'm just not very good at it) Kerrie and Erin to both properties and let them vote before we come back to have tea in our rented two-bedroom maisonette.

Fingers crossed.

The Explaining to Americans Archive

KDixonDonnelly

19.04.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A21892179

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more