A Conversation for Harold Ross - The History

Further Reading:

Post 1

Leo

smiley - star 'Genius in Disguise' by Thomas Kunkel
Ross's biography. Fascinating.

smiley - star 'Letters from the Editor' by Thomas Kunkel
Ross's letters. Highly entertaining, though reading anyone's letters gets tedious after a while.



smiley - star 'The Years with Ross' by James Thurber
A very entertaining read about, well, Ross as an editor. Facts may be slightly exaggerated for effect, but it's worth it.

smiley - star 'About Town: The New Yorker and the World It Made' by Ben Yagoda
This book covers the entire history of The New Yorker magazine and includes a brief biographical sketch of its first editor.

smiley - star 'Here at the New Yorker' by Brendan Gill.
Gill provides the viewpoint of someone who didn't think much of Ross. Katherine S. White died in middle of annotating 'Here at the New Yorker' for inaccuracies.

smiley - star 'Ross, the New Yorker, and Me' by Jane Grant
I didn't read this one, so I can't answer for it. I hear it's very Grant-centric and not as entertaining as Thurber's version.


Ross also makes appearances in Thurber's collected letters and EB White's collected letters.



Further Reading:

Post 2

Leo


Totally forgot, but in 'The Portable Dorothy Parker', she includes a review of Thurber's 'The Years with Ross'. She compares Thurber's memories with her own, and as usual, she is quite eloquent.


Key: Complain about this post

Further Reading:

More Conversations for Harold Ross - The History

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more